"Meeting her 4"

Pinuntahan ni Cole si Elaine sa kanilang bahay days after nitong madischarge. Hindi na sya nabigla sa itsura at mood nito but he still felt a little pity for her. Gone those smiling eyes and vibrant aura. Pumalit dito ang soulless eyes and gloomy temperament.

He sat next to her on the house's couch. "Hi" bati nya dito. She looked at him and said nothing. "Kamusta kana?" Patuloy nyang tanong dito.

She looked at him. It felt like she would like to say something but kept her mouth shut instead.

Silence. A long silence. Yun ang namagitan sa kanila nang ilang minuto. Not wanting to stay another minute on this awkward quietness he started talking. " I'm going to be your doctor" he saw her glimpse at him. Thank goodness, it appears that he have already caught his attention as to why he continued talking " perhaps you don't know I'm a cardiologist, and your case is my specialization. Perhaps destiny brought us together that day so I can take care of you" he said that in a low voice suppressing the smile trying to break from his lips for teasing her. He only did that to lighten the mood ngunit parang nabigo sya.

"Hhmmp" tugon nito sa kanya with a hint of sarcasm. " Well I guess your a fraud. How come upon meeting you nagkaroon ako nang sakit? " Pasigaw nitong sabi sa kanya. He cannot blame her. She is still in the denial stage.

"I'll help you get through this" he said that with the hope of uplifting her.

"What's the point , I'll die anyway"

"Don't say that"

"Don't say what? Ain't it the truth? Don't sugar coat the words you say to me! the only truth I know and believe now is that I AM GOING TO DIE!" She said that hurtful words to herself empathizing every word . "What's the point of you being my doctor? You can't even cure me!" She stood up and walk out. Iniwan sya sa salang mag isa.

"Pasensya kana Kay Elaine iho. She doesn't mean it. Hindi naman sya ganyan dati" paliwanag nang mama ni Elaine na nakatayo sa kanyang likod. Nakita siguro ang padabog na pag tayo nang anak.

"Okay lang ho. Naiintindihan ko"

They chatted for a while bago sya nag disesyong umalis. Hindi na ulit lumabas si Elaine sa kanyang kwarto. He felt the need to be there for her. Not as a lover but at least as a friend. Just a friend. Naisapuso nya na na as of the moment what she needed most is a friend to lean on.

Dapat sana ay thrice a week ang check up ni Elaine as her condition is not well and she is deliberately trying to worsen it but never in those appointments sinipot nito iyon. If she couldn't come personally to the hospital, he will bring hospital to her. That is the reason why parati nya itong sinasadya sa tahanan nito but Everytime he did parati sya nitong pinagtatabuyan. He doesn't know what to do anymore. He cannot take another scene of her sulking in her own sorrows. Kung nasaktan ito sa kaalamang may sakit ito mas nasasaktan syang nakikita itong miserable. It hurts him so bad to see her suffering.

"Cole!" Tawag sa kanya nang mama ni Elaine. Relief is flooded on her face. " Thank God your here"

"Why what happened?" Nag aalalang tanong nya dito.

"It's Elaine. Kanina pa ito nag kukulong sa kwarto. Ayaw lumabas. Ayaw kumain" halos umiyak nang Sabi nang ina nito.

"Elaine open this door" may awtoridad na utos nya dito.

She didn't answer. She didn't even budge. He could not hear any movements inside.

" You'll open this damn door or I will destroy it!" Galit na sya. He said that almost yelling.

"Go away!" Pasigaw ding utos nito.

"Don't be selfish Elaine! Gusto mo bang mauna pang mamatay ang mga magulang mo sa iyo? Do you know how worried they are? They are worried to death because of you. Hindi lang ikaw ang nasasaktan! Think of the people who cares for you. The pain they felt is triple than what you feel hindi mo manlang ba naisip Iyon? Your not the only person who is hurting" after saying those words she opened the door. She opened it while crying. Maybe her heart is hurting with so much emotion. Nakikita nyang kinukumuyos nito ang dibdib kung nasaan ang puso.

He hugged her "hush... Calm down don't cry" Sabi nya sa mahinahong tono. Iginaya nya ito sa kama para umupo habang patuloy na hinahagod ang likod nito. Trying his best to stop her hurting and crying.

Nilibot nya nang tingin ang kwarto nito. He can see portraits of her smiling while holding a tropy. A framed news article. Ito siguro ang una nitong naisulat sa dyaryo na kinwento sa kanya . The last thing that caught his eye is the guitar. Leaning on the wall beside the cabinet. It is the same guitar that she bought when they met. He let go of her and took the guitar. Pagkakuha nang gitara ay umopo sya sa stool na katabi nang kama nito. He started strumming the guitar.

"Lift your head, baby don't be scared... Of the things that could go wrong along the way..." He started singing. The same time he did, she stopped crying. He smiled at her. He stared at her while she stared at him. Then he continued singing.

" We'll get by with a smile.... You can't win on anything but you can try..."

She saw her wiping the tears on her face. Napatulala pa sya nang nakita nya itong pilit na ngumiti. Not to ruin the atmosphere, he kept on strumming the guitar and kept on singing.

"Baby, you don't have to worry
'Cause there ain't no need to hurry
No one ever said that there's an easy way
When they're closing all their doors
They don't want you anymore
This sounds funny but I'll say it anyway

Girl, I'll stay through the bad times
Even if I have to fetch you everyday
We'll get by with a smile
You can never be too happy in this life"

Since that night Elaine realize one thing. She may not live long enough to be with those she love but at least she still have time to make those she loves happy and make happy memories with them. Memories last forever and on those memories there is no goodbye.

After that night. Cole and Elaine became the best of friends. As time goes by. Nakalimutan nya na ang initial attraction nya para dito as he had been busy trying to make her happy and taking care of her heart.

That's why Elaine calls him sweetheart. She said that he will be the doctor the keeper and the healer of her heart...