36

fyi: kind of a sad chapter so be ready :(

Vicky West

No one could've prepared us for what was about to come. There were no friends who had gone through such a hassle, survived the entire process, and could give us several tips.

Harry and I knew we were going to face a heartbreaking obstacle, but we didn't know how hard it actually would be. So when Harry told me he was being sued for wrongful termination, we had fallen into the dark pit we were too frightened to be in.

Before he shared this news, I had thought about the worst possible outcomes and carried a slim chance of hope with me. But since we knew Ethan had taken the next step together with William, all hope was gone because he'd stand a bigger chance losing the Moulin Rouge instead of keeping it.

In the first few days, we were both eager to beat both Ethan and William. It wasn't hard to find out William had returned to Los Angeles to steal Harry's precious club and family's legacy, but this time Ethan was helping him win this battle; someone who had a solid case, which was exactly what he needed.

We were certain William had waited for the right moment to strike again. Knowing he could have a Styles by his side, a member of Harry's family, made it all more entertaining to him. In his eyes, it would be hilarious to take Harry down together with someone who shared the same blood.

As Niall and Lauren went to a hotel nearby, Harry and I had the house to ourselves. We were doing surprisingly fine at the beginning compared to where we were right now. The two of us would sit at the dining table going through useful information we could give to Harry's lawyers.

But as time passed more and more, Harry and I faced turbulent weeks filled with sleepless nights, emotional talks, countless tears, and callous arguments. Our relationship was put to the test and dragged through the dirt, so there were moments I thought it was the end despite our promise to stick together. Every emotion we felt throughout those burdensome weeks, were often shockingly intense. I saw him in a way I had never seen him before while he saw a side of me which had never seen daylight.

One night I would forever remember in particular because Harry returned home while being absolutely wrecked by everything that had been going on. For days, he had been locked inside a room together with his lawyers, Niall, and Louis, to come up with the perfect defense. But he was losing faith along the way, even if we encouraged him not to. He was slowly letting go of the idea he could stay the owner of the Moulin Rouge, thereupon he began to accept the reality of saying goodbye to it. Except, it wasn't a pretty reality.

Harry didn't mind saying hi to me when he arrived home late since he went straight to his study. The moment he had decided to avoid seeing me, I knew he had reached his first breaking-point; one that had haunted him.

Normally, we would spend the evening together talking about the progress they made or how he was feeling. Over time, I noticed it was getting onerous for him to sit down. He was sharing less and less, causing me to fret about him more than before.

At first, I wanted to step inside his home office and check up on him. But I knew I would invade his privacy, so I waited for quite some time. I stayed in the living room watching television while I listened closely to any of his movements; I didn't want him to quietly sneak out. Getting ready for the court was tremendously excruciating for him therefore it wouldn't startle me if he wanted to escape the night for once.

Carefully I moved to the hallway that brought me to his office. I saw the door was left somewhat ajar, but I didn't barge in. I had to get myself together because I knew it wouldn't be a pretty sight to see since Harry's emotions had gotten the best of him. I swallowed the lump in my throat before pushing the door open and laying my eyes on Harry who had his back turned to the entrance of his room.