29

Vicky West

I hesitated for a second – did I want to read the conversation between Harry and Ethan? This was bound to go wrong. I'd end up knowing more than I needed to. If there were plenty of text messages between both of them, then why had Harry never brought it up?

Harry: Hi Ethan! How are you doing? I was thinking about visiting Italy soon. Do you've some time off  so we can catch up? I have a great business offer, too.

I glanced at Ethan who waited patiently for me to finish reading. I lowered my head and continued where I left off – unsure if this was the best choice.

Ethan: I'm good. I haven't heard from you in a while. When will you be here?

Harry: I'm free next week. Might take a five-day trip.

Ethan: For now, my schedule is cramped. Maybe I can postpone a meeting. What is the offer about?

Harry: That would be great. I was thinking about opening a new club and I need someone to run it for me.

Ethan: I'll let you know asap.

Ethan: But a new club? Since when do you want to expand the Moulin Rouge?

Harry: It's a new concept. A new club that won't be associated with the Moulin Rouge.

Ethan: Interesting. In Italy?

Harry: I'm not sure yet. I'm still going over all the options.

"Is there a club in Italy now?" I asked him in between reading.

"Yes." He murmured.

"Does Harry know about it too? Even after the accident?"

"He knows." Ethan said.

"Mmm." I hummed and read the other messages. I saw the date had changed because Ethan reached out to him after two days.

Ethan: I managed to get a day off next week. Does Wednesday work for you?

Harry: It does. It'll be great to see you again.

Ethan: About that... What is actually going on? I find it peculiar you start texting me out of nowhere. I prefer you are honest and tell me about it before visiting me in Italy.

He replied hours later after Ethan's message.

Harry: I need to get out of the US. I need a break. I've got a lot on my mind.

Ethan: What is on your mind then?

Harry: I screwed up, Ethan. I left someone I care about behind and I can't go back to LA. When I met her family, I bumped into a former dancer from the Moulin Rouge. I fired her and crushed her dreams of being in the spotlight. We got in a fight at the family gathering and I can't be there with all of them knowing I am the guy who ruined her future. Right now, I don't think it's a good idea to be a part of my girlfriend's life anymore. I think it's better if she meets someone who isn't trouble. Therefore, Italy sounds like a beautiful escape and I need it more than anything right now.

Ethan: You're welcome to come to my place.

Pain gripped my chest. How could he address the situation through a text but not let me know what was going on at the time? I did deserve a proper explanation more than Ethan did.

Perhaps this was a call for help on Harry's part, but did that make it all better? Absolutely not. There was nothing fake about these messages and I knew it would only be confirmed if I checked Harry's phone – the thought only made me feel disgusting.