16

Vicky West

I never liked hospitals – especially not now as I was speed-walking through the dull hallways with Red by my side.

She was holding my hand protectively as we made our way to the room. The closer we came, the sooner I spotted Louis pacing back and forth in front of room 205. He was biting on his nails nervously whilst being lost in his own thoughts. When he heard us coming near, his head shot up. Instantaneously, he gave Red a hug and then went to me and held me tight.

''When did this happen?'' I whispered as I hugged Louis strongly.

He was rubbing my back in a soothing way, but my heart was beating enormously fast against my chest – I couldn't believe that this was real, I didn't want to.

''Around 12.'' He answered me. ''We got a call at 3am.''

Carefully, I let Louis go and glanced back at Red who was having a hard time with keeping her emotions to herself. I gestured her to come to me, so she did and I wrapped my arms around her.

''This is intense, Vicks. I'm don't know what to feel or think.'' Red mumbled, and I couldn't stand seeing her unbelievably fragile.

I locked eyes with Louis. ''How is he doing?'' I asked, but it was difficult to speak – to ask questions even. If the answers were overall negative, I preferred not to know a thing.

''They've made sure he's sleeping right now. It's going to take a lot of hours before he's going to wake-up. He needs to rest.'' Louis said. ''He broke his right shoulder, has a brain concussion and is covered in bruises.''

It felt as if someone had his hands wrapped around my neck. I couldn't speak. I couldn't let one vowel leave my mouth. I didn't know why this had such a major impact on me. Obviously, I'd be hurt if anyone I knew would be in hospital. But this was a different feeling than I wanted it to be.

Louis saw that I was fighting with my thoughts, but he kept his distance. He wasn't going to ask me if I was okay, because he already knew that I wasn't. Therefore, I walked to the waiting area silently.

As I sat down in the empty area, I noticed how my hands were shaking. I tried to steady myself by closing my eyes and focusing on my breathing pattern. At some point, I buried my head in my hands and just kept calming myself down. Things weren't supposed to go like this.

''Vicks,'' I  looked up discreetly as I saw Red standing in the door opening. ''Are you alright?'' she questioned calmly.

''I don't know, Red.'' I sighed heavily. ''I really have no f.ucking idea.''

She came closer and took a seat on the chair next to me. Red placed her hand on my back and moved it gently. ''Louis told me the doctor just left his room.'' She started, and I wanted to stand up and walk out of this room – this damned hospital. ''Harry is still asleep, and they don't think he's capable of feeling like its old self again very soon.''

''What do you mean?'' I muttered.

''He's hurt, Vicks. Very badly. He need to recover properly from the car accident. Louis is already calling Ethan and telling him what has happened. He should be here very soon.'' She explained, but Ethan attention wasn't something I craved. I didn't want him to comfort me right now.

''Red,'' I said with difficulty.

''Yeah?''

I moved the ring around my finger impatiently. Sweat was breaking out as I licked my lips before speaking aloud.

''What if-''

''Don't.''

''No, Red. What if this-''