08

Vicky West 

Louis showed me the beach house after my appointment with Doctor Hays. No one was allowed to know that I was seeing her, because I knew that – if everybody was aware of my return – my friends would wonder why I made this decision. I preferred to keep this a secret to the outside world, even my dearest friends whom cared enormously about my well-being.

During my visit at the beach house, Louis made sure to let me have a look at all the rooms. At the end, he asked if I wanted the beach house. To him, it wasn't about the rent of this place, he wanted me to feel at home in a tiny house – to me it wasn't little.

Since he picked me up with his car, we already took care of a few boxes with belongings. I cleaned the picture frame with the sleeve of my sweater before I placed in on the nightstand. It was a picture of my parents and I, back in the days. To be more specific, it was taken at our favourite camping spot.

I hadn't heard a thing from Red, and I wondered if she was going to talk to me any time soon. I didn't want to keep silence between the two of us, but in my eyes she had been wrong. And Marcel, well, he hadn't said a single word to me either after I confronted him about seeing Harry's vehicle that day.

I filled a mug with coffee and made my way to the back of the house. I opened the gigantic doors and the breeze hit my face. I inhaled the oxygen, and breathed out intensely before my bare feet touched the sand. I waltzed my way towards the sea, and stepped closer – the water brushed against my skin cautiously. There were no cars nor people passing by. It felt like Louis send me to paradise.

At some point, I stepped back and sat down. Maybe moving out from my old apartment would put everything into a different perspective – at least, I prayed it would. The last couple of weeks were a rollercoaster for everyone, but in particular for myself.

Back in the days, I was very talkative. I had multiple conversations with my parents about my feelings – or emotions. They never demanded me to cover it up, but encouraged me to speak aloud. So I did. Everlastingly.

Right now, things had changed. My parents lived in Texas still so I was incapable of having proper heart-to-heart conversations. Personally, I thought it could be something that comes along with growing up. I was consistently thankful for their words, but I was twenty-five now. If I wouldn't manage to get through life on my own at this point, then I wondered if I ever was going to survive.

The vibe in Los Angeles wasn't like it used to be. Not that I lived here for many years to be able to judge. Yet, compared to the day I entered Los Angeles, everyone was more alive.

My phone laid beside me, and I got a call from Doctor Hays.

''Vicky, hello.'' She greeted me politely. ''Are you already at the beach house?''

''Yes, we managed to move a lot of boxes to this place already.'' I told her.

She knew about the move to the beach house, and insisted on calling me later this afternoon. I allowed her to call me, even if I didn't know why she wanted to.

''Where are you now?'' She questioned seriously.

I drew patterns in the sand as I held the phone against my ear. ''I'm sitting on the sand, looking at the moving water as the sun is going down at a slow pace.'' I explained.

''Close your eyes for a while, Vicky.'' She instructed me.

At first, I was confused by her demand. However, I did what she asked me to do. I kept drawing patterns with my index finger in the warm sand.

''What do you think about moving to a new place? Something unfamiliar, even though it is in Los Angeles.''

I pressed my lips together and thought about the moment Louis told me he was willing to give his place to me for the time being. I was bewildered at first, but I knew it was an opportunity I couldn't let go