(45) we'll be a fine line

this one hurt.
all the love,
olive

NO PERSPECTIVE

There comes a time when things have to end. Even the best things, the things you truly love the most, they have to end. But, with you come the memories and the feelings you felt with them.

And this is the same for Harry and Amelia.

Harry is as ready to end things as he can be. He knows inside that it's the worst idea he's probably ever had; that Amelia is his love. But, he knows he can't string her along through tour and through everything in between and after that.

Throughout the whole funeral, Amelia was right there next to him - holding his hand and reminding him that everything would be already, Robin was in a better place now. But each squeeze of his hand and light kiss was just a stab to his heart knowing that he'd have to let go of this all soon.

It was for the better, he reminded himself. Amelia deserves a normal life and he's not sure if he can give it to her. It's only fair that he figures things out, then if she'll let him back - he'll come back to her.

Amelia couldn't stay long, only really for the funeral then she left the day after because work wouldn't allow her to be taking as many 'vacations' as she had been. Another thing Harry believes he's ruining for her.

Love is such a different thing for everyone, and most find themselves scared by it since it's so unknown to them. And though he won't admit it, that's all Harry is: scared. Scared of love, scared of what loving Amelia and letting her love him will do to him.

So, he made the call.

Her sweet voice rang through his ears, he could practically hear her smile. "Hi baby! Didn't know you'd be calling today.. you usually FaceTime at night. Something up?"

"Hi Cherry.. uh, no. No, nothing's wrong... well actually I guess there is something wrong.. that's why I'm calling." The uneasiness and sadness in his voice let Amelia know right away this would be serious.

"Let me just go up to my room, one second." She moved the phone a bit away from her ear so she could yell without bursting his eardrums. "Mia! Ethan! I'm going to my room, I'll be back! Don't break anything!"

Ethan and Mia yelled back an "okay!" but only Amelia could hear them faintly as she made her way up to her room, sitting down on her bed with a feeling of uneasiness in her stomach. She knew what was coming; as much as Harry tried to hide it, he'd been distant lately and not because of Robins death.

"Okay, I'm ready. What's up, baby?"

The pet name stung his heart even more, "I guess I should just get out with it.."

"That'd probably be a good idea. Just let me know what's upsetting you, I just want to help. I'll always help you."

It'd help if you could stop being the nice and kind person you are so this would be easier, he thought to himself.

".. I don't think we should do this... us. I don't think we.. we should be together.."

There was complete silence on the other end, Amelia had no words. She was hoping for her assumption of the situation to not be true, but hearing the words leave his mouth was like someone reached into her chest and tore her heart out completely.

Harry was the one for her. He helped her open up; feel the emotions she desperately longed for, feel a happiness different than the one she'd felt her whole life, and he helped her love again. Amelia couldn't fathom why he would end it.

Harry was crying now, knowing that he'd broken the sweet girls heart. "I'm sorry, Cherry.."

Amelia sniffled, trying to regain composure simply so she didn't upset him anymore. "Um.. it's fine, it's fine. We all make decisions like this someday.."

"It's just not fair for me to be with you.." he explained, "I have tour and a busy life.. you're so simple and I like that about you, but it's not going to work right now.. I don't even know where my life or career is going to go but you have to all figured out... I can't ask you to wait for me and I can't string you along.. you'll always be my Cherry though."

"We'll be a fine line, Harry... I'll never forget you because we're a fine line.. we've crossed the line of friends and almost made it to the line of lovers.. but now we're just the fine line in between..." Amelia chuckled, "I guess I should've prepared more.. I knew this was coming from the second I realized I told you I loved you.."

"You remember that?"

Amelia nodded though he couldn't see it, "Yeah.. I didn't realize till I'd gotten back to the party and my brain was replaying the conversation.. you never mentioned it and I knew.. you'd been acting different... you have been for a while now, my love."

"You know me so well." Harry admitted, more to himself then to her. "I'm sorry that I have to do this, Cherry.. it just seems right to me right now. We'll be alright though, won't we?"

"You can't get rid of me that easily." Amelia chuckled through her tears. "We'll be alright, Harry.. I don't think I could not be your friend after what we've been through. I absolutely adore you, baby.. I'd combust if I couldn't at least be in your presence."

Harry chuckled at her playful way of complimenting him. "Thank you, Cherry.. I want you to do whatever now.. I don't want you to wait for me because I don't even know if I can come back to someone as perfect as you are.."

"You're too sweet to me, baby." She couldn't even stop the use of the pet name, it basically became like Cherry was for her.

"You should go on a date with Ethan." He told her, though his heart stung just at the words.

"Yeah, no thank you. If I wanted to go on a date with Ethan and rekindle whatever we had, I wouldn't have been with you, baby. I'll just take a break from it all now, I don't always need someone to love. Just don't blame yourself for it, okay?"

"Okay."

"You're still the watermelon to my sugar." Amelia's use of the familiar and odd compliment brought them both back to that day. What a good day it was.

"And you're the sunflower to my life, Cherry.. I'll still completely be in awe of you as each day passes. I hope you remember that."

"And I'll still love and support you everyday, I hope you know that." Amelia told him, "I hope you find out who you are when those lights go up, and you find happiness through this all."

"Thank you, Cherry."

"I love you, baby."