(3) some time later..

AMELIA ELAYNE MOORE

2017 was going to become my year. Sure, it was off to a thought start with Eddie's death and Mary's departure into a nursing home, but now, things would start coming up. Tonight would only prove that to me.

Canyon Moon was buzzing, flowers on each table and the theme was now golden. There was still the same music playing as always, and the same spot left for those who wished to dance. I didn't go there until more people left since now I had to tend to more tables, even with the new workers hired.

"Dave on table three is crying about his wife again. Would you speak to him? You're the only one he listens to." Mia states more than asks me.

I nod and make my way to his usual table near the back of the bar. He has a plate of fries in front of him, just as he always does, but he never eats them. They were his wife's favorite and they even came to this bar together, but now his wife enjoys another man.

"Hey Davie, you alright?" I smile with a bit of pity as I sit across the man in his thirty's.

He sniffles and meets my sunglass covered eyes, the familiar heart shape making him smile slightly. "I just miss her, ya know?"

"I know and I'm sorry. You really don't have to come here if it reminds you of her so much." I apologize kindly.

Dave shakes his head, "No, that's exactly why I have to come here."

"I don't understand." I cock my head to the side slightly, not really understanding why he would want a constant reminder of a woman who chose someone else after years of unconditional love.

"It's the only thing I have left of her, Ames." He lets out a small cry, not one person turning to look at him since they're all used to the sound.

The sound breaks my heart into pieces, "I'm so sorry, Davie. You deserved better and I hope you find better. I'm always here if you need, and I'll continue to serve free fries to you until the day you stop coming here."

He laughs slightly, "I do quite like having the fries here." He peers around the bar, seeing how it's a bit busier than usual, "Get back to work Ames, they need you more than I do."

I nodded slightly, standing from my seat and rubbing his shoulder before departing the table. It's the same every night and while I'm not annoyed by it, it does hurt my heart to see. It's been over half a year since she left, but I don't expect him to stop soon since 1) he believes she is the love of his life and, 2) they were together for almost fifteen years, high school sweethearts.

I smile as I find myself in the front of the bar, a large photo of Mary and Eddie right in front of me. It's one of them in position to be dancing, but instead of looking at each other like they usually are, they're looking at the camera I'm holding with bright smiles. It's a picture of pure happiness. My heart stings a bit at the sight of Eddie, but I must remember.

Everything happens for a reason.

It's exactly what he taught me, and it's exactly what he would want me to remember.

"Sunflower, would you like some advice?" Eddie's voice called out to me as I set up the new tables for the bar.

I chuckle slightly, "What wonderful advice do you have for me today, Ed?"

"Well, this is the very best advice you'll ever receive, so listen closely sunflower." His voice rang through my ears sweetly and I turned around to meet his gaze, making sure that he knew he had my complete attention.

"I'm listening."

"Everything happens for a reason." He simply states.

I quirk my eyebrow up in confusion, "That's the important advice?"

"Yes, that's the most important advice I'll give you." He shrugs as if it makes complete sense to the average person.

"And why is that?"

"Well, sunflower, if you know everything happens for a reason, then you will not fret on the silly things in life. Moments will become more enjoyable because you know that you were meant specifically to be living through it. Sad and tough moments in life will be easier to get through because you'll know that they were meant to happen for a reason."

When I didn't reply since I was taking in his words, he walked over to me and kissed my temple sweetly, "All I want when I go is for you to live a long and happy life. If you follow my advice, I believe you will do just that."

Mia's presence next to me knocks me out of the flashback, "If you need, Ames, you can go home early for the night."

I shake my head with a smile, "I'm alright, Mia. Everything happens for a reason."

She nods, remembering the story behind it that I told her, "Everything happens for a reason."

Mia left quickly, me quickly following to do the same as we had to tend to the antsy drunks. I quite liked the ones who came to this bar though, they were all very relaxed and kind which warmed my heart. That's the one thing I wanted for this bar, I didn't want a sweaty club that consisted of sweaty bodies and spilled drinks.

The night went fast, the population inside the bar quickly become smaller and smaller by the minute. Once the clock struck four in the morning, Mia and I were the only human life left.

I grabbed the fries of Dave's table quickly, chucking the full thing into the trash can, "You can head home, Mia. I'll close up by myself, I know you're tired. You worked harder than anyone else tonight."

"This is awkward for me to ask.. since you're my boss and all-"

I cut her off, "I'm not just your boss, I'm your friend too. Just a friend who pays you."

She chuckled slightly, "Yeah, yeah I guess you are. Your.. your apartment has more than one room, right?"

I nodded and she spoke again, "If it's not taken, or if I you even want me to, could I move in? I know that's weird to ask, but I lived with my boyfriend and now we're done so-"

"Of course, you can stay with me."