(40) saying our goodbyes

AMELIA ELAYNE MOORE

Harry felt terrible for the bar; he made sure I knew that, with the closeness he had with me the rest of the night, the sweet murmurs he spoke, but for some reason he never actually said the words 'I'm sorry'. I honestly don't think he could for some reason because he showed he was sorry, but never voiced it. I didn't dwell on it for long though.

Harry and I both dressed pretty laid-back for the day, knowing that our flight would leave tonight and all we had to do was make sure our bags were ready and say our goodbyes to everyone. Starting with Mary.

The car ride was silent, a bit of tension from the fight before and the fact we didn't speak and just slept in the dark, practically a foot in between us. Needless to say, we both tossed and turned all night, itching for each other. Harry's fingers were almost white on the steering wheel with what I assumed to be frustration from the tension.

As we pulled up to the nursing home, he grabbed my hand before I could reach for the door handle. "How can I fix things, Cherry? We leave tonight, and I don't want to have this awkwardness."

I sighed, "There really is no way for you to fix it, I'm just feeling a bit on edge from it all. You didn't do anything wrong, let's just forget about it, yeah?"

"If you want to." He simply replied, before exiting the car as I did the same. His hand returned to mine with a soft smile afterwards and we walked up to the nursing home together.

As always, some people gave us smiles while others gave us scowls from it all - none of it really surprising me. Harry made a remark the last time we were here and he saw it, telling me how sweet old people were in Britain.

"I think it's just the Americans, Muppet." He mused, knocking his shoulder with mine as he whispered into my ear.

I shook my head with a snicker, "That's such a lie, baby. Most of them just don't want to be here; that's why they're not happy."

"Well, I didn't put them in here." He retorted, "Why are they scowling at me?"

"Why don't you pay for their way out?" I teased, "You're a big pop star, go send them to the Bahamas or something."

Harry rolled his eyes, letting go of my hand and crossing his arms over my chest. "Don't be rude."

I smiled to myself at the memory, and as if he was thinking of the same thing - Harry squeezes my hand lightly. I brought my free one up to knock on Marys door and immediately she swung it open. Her eyes landed on Harry first, her smile as big as possible and her arms going straight around his neck.

"Ah, sweet boy!" She cooed, "I was wondering when sunflower would bring you around."

"I'd come without sunflower if you wanted me to, Mary." Harry replied, kissing her cheek nicely before letting go and allowing her to say hello to me.

I mused as she pulled me in for a hug and kiss on the cheek, "Nice to know you remember your own granddaughter."

Mary rolled her eyes as she pulled away, brushing my hair out of my face kindly. "How could I forget my gorgeous sunflower? You're glowing.. must be the excitement for the trip, isn't it?" She moved to the side, gesturing for us to enter the home and closing the door when we did.

"Mandy invited me to their gallery," Mary rolled her eyes as she spoke, pulling out chocolates for us just as she did each time we visited. "Says she still has your artwork hung up high in the gallery."

I nodded, "She does. I saw it the other day when I visited. Ethan told her I ended things."

Mary rolled her eyes, "Of course he did, maybe now I should go down there. Give that bitch a piece of my mind."

"Grandma!" I scolded, shaking my head with a tut.

Harry cut in inquisitively, "Why does she have your artwork there? I didn't know you did that.. and hung up high in the gallery? Wouldn't she want to showcase it lower so it's easier to be seen?"

Lots of questions, Harry.

"She has Amelia's artwork because Amelia is very talented." Mary answered, taking a seat at one of the chairs while Harry and I shared the couch, my head on his shoulder and his hand resting on my thigh.

She continued, "Amelia enjoys the paintings high up in the gallery more than the ones lower. You should know this if you two go to galleries on your trip."

"I didn't know that," Harry hummed, "but I'm glad I do now. I'd love to go there and see your artwork."

"I'm sure Mandy would love any customers she can get." Mary snarled.

"What is up with you today?" I laughed, "You are just throwing out these insults all around! Where is the sweet old lady I know?"

"Ugh, she left the moment I had to deal with all these moody people." She waved her hands around, gesturing to the nursing home and presumably the people inside it.

Mary dove into conversation about the people she's surrounded with, saying she's happy she made the choice to be here but doesn't enjoy the unhappy demeanor some of the other residents have. Harry engaged in the conversation, telling her how he blamed it on the American way too. Unlike me, Mary agreed with him while I just laughed at their remarks.

Despite the night before and the fact Harry would be leaving soon, I enjoyed this moment completely. I let the happiness I felt, the anxiety of the trip to come, and the love I felt to engulf me completely.

Looking back on it, I'm not so sure I would've done the same again.

I hugged Mary after Harry did, "I'll see you later - I'll visit as soon as the trip is over."

"Mhm, you don't have to bring me a gift but I definitely wouldn't mind." She winked last time before closing her door, leaving Harry and I to walk past all the scowls.

Harry opened my door for me before getting in on his side, "Are you ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."