(12) a tornado

AMELIA ELAYNE MOORE

Mia didn't return home that night, and Harry left soon after my bath much to his own dismay. As much as he argued against the idea, I wanted to be alone. I needed to be alone.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore every second I'm with him, I'm beaming with happiness when I am with him, but I don't want to be happy right now. I want to think, I want to let all my emotions out so that I can move on from this. That's how I've dealt with everything my whole life, I've locked myself away into a room or some empty space and let everything out. Even if letting everything out meant punching pillows, screaming my heart out, or crying until there were no tears left - I did it.

And this time was no exception.

The first three hours after Harry's departure were spent watching sad movies and crying my eyes out while I reflected on everything.

I don't understand what I did to deserve that from Dave, I was there for him when he needed someone most. Providing him with free food and drinks so he could grieve how he wished to. I would ignore other customers who needed service just to sit with him and talk. I let him depend on me, only to be tore down by him. He made me feel absolutely disgusting, the way his hands touched me and the raspy voice he spoke in. I get shivers just recounting the situation.

The two hours after that were spent with me getting very angry and letting it all out in the form of screams, writing everything angrily onto a piece of a paper, and punching every pillow in this place.

I ripped the paper in my journal about a million times with how angrily hard and fast I was writing. My kindness was used against me, he used me to his advantage for his sick game. I was nothing to him. He was my friend, someone I enjoyed seeing each night, but I was a piece of meat to him. He ignored all my pleas to stop, he enjoyed my pleas to stop. And now, my poor pillows have to take a beating because of it all.

After that, I was just numb. I sat and stared at my ceiling for what felt like five minutes, but in reality had been hours. I was only knocked out of that state when Mia tried to sneak into the home without me noticing. She jumped a few feet in the air at the sight of me sulking, something I never really did with my happy demeanor.

Mia looked at me confused when I didn't react to her entering or jumping in fright, "Are you alright, Ames?" She looked around our home, seeing the pillows and pieces of paper strewn everywhere, "Jeez, what happened while I was gone? A tornado?"

Normally, I would've laughed at her words but right now, I couldn't find it in me to do so, "He touched me, Mia."

Her head darted straight to me, her feet doing the same before she crouched in front of me, "What? Who touched you, Amelia? Was it Harry? I'll kill him, I don't give a shit how famous he may-"

"Dave." I cut her off.

Her eyes widened in surprise, "Wait, what? Sad Dave? I thought you two were friends, you speak every night."

I nodded, "Yeah, I thought we were too. Guess not."

"Did you call the police?" She stood, looking around for a phone frantically, "I'll call the police now, that douchebag is going to jail."

"No, please don't." I sat up on the couch, shaking my head at her actions.

Mia sat down next to me, rubbing my shoulder reassuringly, "I should've been here, Ames. I'm so sorry. I honestly thought you would be fine alone with him, he seemed to be a good guy. I guess I understand why his wife left him. I think he deserves to rot in jail, but if you don't want to call, I won't either."

"He seemed to be a good guy to me too, Mi. No reason to feel sorry for something we can't change now. And, I'm sure its his wife's departure that made him this way, so I guess I can't really blame him." I admitted with a shrug.

Mia scoffed, "You can blame him! Don't try to be kind right now, he doesn't deserve it. He used your original kindness against you, don't forget that."

I nodded and smiled softly at her, "You're right. I'm just happy you're here now, that's all that matters. I'm moving on, and I get to have you by my side."

"I wouldn't want to be anywhere else." Mia squeezes my hand once before sitting on the couch more and crossing her legs, "Will it make you feel better to hear about my night with Matthew?"

I nodded eagerly, mirroring the way she was sitting as we faced each other, "Please."

Mia's smile grows as she recounts her night that definitely went better than mine, "So, we went out to a small diner, as you know, and it was absolutely amazing. We talked the whole time, he was so sweet and even paid for it all like a gentlemen."

"Good man." I pointed out.

She nodded in agreement, "I know. So, then we went back to his house, just to hang out, we didn't want to do anything sexual."

"But, you did." I wiggled my eyebrows suggestively.

Her face flushed red, confirming my comment, "Aw, shut up. It wasn't intentional, it kind of just happened. Then, he made sure I was awake so I had enough time to come here and shower and change before work tonight. Isn't that sweet?"

"I'm happy for you, Mi. Matthew's a great guy." I complimented.

She nodded, "I know he is, I just hope it all works out. Now, enough about me, tell me about you and Harry Styles."

I rolled my eyes, "You don't have to refer to him as Harry Styles. He's a normal person, just call him Harry."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Just spill the juicy details about you and one of the hottest men to walk this Earth."

I quirked my eyebrow at her description of him, "Are you sure you're not the one after Harry?"

Mia laughed, "I mean I'll take him if you're offering. Though I do think he's too entranced by you to even notice me."

"He is not entranced by me." She rolled her eyes at my words and beckoned for me to continue on with the story, "I don't really know whats going on with us. He said we can be whatever we want to be, but its all a bit fast, no? Like, he was here after everything happened with Dave and he was so sweet to me."

Mia cut in, "And don't forget the sunflower field he brought you to. Or the fact he danced with you in our living room to no music. Or the fact he calls you Muppet."

"All valid points." I nod, "But, still. That doesn't change the fact that we've only begun to hang out again after one meeting six years ago. I'd like to take things slow, actually build a relationship with him. Go on dates, argue, do what regular couples do."

"You won't be a regular couple though, Ames. He's Harry Styles." Mia argued.

"He's not Harry Styles to me."