(33) cherry and an ex

AMELIA ELAYNE MOORE

I swung the door open to Canyon Moon eagerly, Harry following behind me silently. "Helllllo! Guess who's back, babey!"

"Cherry." A familiar voice breathed out and I went stiff, my feet bolted to the spot in front of the door.

Harry moved past me, eyeing the man at the bar who called me a nickname he'd never heard before. "Who are you?"

"You must be Harry," Ethan stood, extending his hand to him, "you're Amelia's boyfriend, yeah?"

Harry nodded, his face as hard as I'd ever seen. He was jealous. "And you are?"

"I'm Ethan." He coughed awkwardly, "Uh, Amelia's ex-boyfriend. Guess we're the boyfriends club."

I stepped in quickly, not wanting either Harry's anger or Ethans embarrassment to grow. I turned so my back was to Ethan as I was in between them, placing my hands on Harry's shoulders so he'd break the icy glare he had on Ethan.

"S'alright, baby." I smiled softly as his eyes met mine, "Just going to talk to Ethan for a moment, then I'll be back."

Megan approached, feeling the tension inside the room. "Come on, Harry. Have a drink to loosen up from the flight, Ethans not going to do no harm."

Harry didn't say a word, and his icy glare focused back onto Ethan. Megan took ahold of his arm and pulled him away gently, to which he surprisingly complied. My blue eyes turned cold as I looked back at Ethan.

Standing in front of me was the man who knew every little thing he could about me. Someone I devoted years of my life to, and someone I loved with every inch of my body. He was the only man that I ever completely let take ahold of me, and now that I've found someone who may be able to do the same - he shows up and might ruin it all.

"Let's go." I seethe, taking a hold of his arm in the most platonic way possible and pulling him towards the back room. I know if we yell our voices will be heard, but I'd rather that then having to explain it all to everyone.

"What the hell is wrong with you!" I begin, my voice raised. "How could you do this? You didn't love me! I told you I didn't want to see you because it hurt too much, and now you're showing up the second I get better? What the fuck, Ethan!"

"I missed you.." His voice is weak and soft, but still audible for anyone trying to listen, "I'm sorry.. I don't want to come in here and steal you away from Harry. I can see how happy you are, Cherry, I know that you're doing better without me. And I'm sorry.. I really am."

"I'm not getting back with you, Ethan. I'm with Harry now, and I'm so happy. You're right, I'm happier than I've ever been because I've found someone who is as devoted to me as I am to him."

"And do you love him?"

I don't reply for a moment, silence consumes the both of us in the room. His lips turn into a knowing smirk, but not in a rude way more so just confirming that his thoughts were right for himself.

"That's not any of your business." I snap. God, how this guy can make the rude side of me come out.

I'm never truly angry or upset, Harry knows that - so he must know that this is all new for me. Having someone that makes you this upset, but it's expected with everything I gave to him for him to not want anything.

His face softens, "Cherry, I know why you're angry with me and I'm sorry. I don't want to hurt you anymore, but I miss having you around. I miss your smile and your laugh. I miss your happiness and the way you spoke about my parents gallery. The way your favorite art was hung up high in the gallery. You were my favorite art but I couldn't love you, not then."

"You can't love me ever now." I sighed, "I'm sorry, Ethan but it's obvious I'm not the same girl around you as I used to be. I'm not your Cherry anymore. I'll be your friend, if you want me to.. I will."

"I'd really like that, Cherry." He smiled softly, "How about my parents gallery tomorrow? We can catch up, if that's alright with you."

I nodded, "I'll be there, just please don't show up to my workplace unannounced. Not until we're really friends at least, and just go home now. I need to spend some time with my friends and my boyfriend."

"I understand.. thank you, Cherry."

"Goodbye Ethan." I walked out of the back room first, him following slowly behind me. But while I went to the bar, he went out the front door, a happy smile spread across his face.

Harry was leaned against the bar and his gaze was on me already as I walked over to him. I laid my head on his chest, allowing myself just to melt into his touch. This was all too much for me.

"I'm sorry, Ames." Megan apologized, "I told him not to be here, not to talk to you, but he wouldn't listen. You know how damn stubborn he is, he gets what he wants."

I nodded against Harry's chest, "It's alright, Megs. I don't blame you, if he wanted to talk to me that bad he would've found a way even if it wasn't here today."

"Cherry?" Harry questioned, more curiously than angry over the fact Ethan used it.

I pulled myself away from his chest so I could formally speak to them all, "Yeah, it was a high school nickname. Ethan's known me for a while, so he's just called me it since we've met." I nodded my head towards Megan, "She used to call me it too, don't know why she doesn't anymore."

Megan laughed, "People used to stare at me like I was weird for calling you a damn fruit!"

Mia chuckled at Megan's words, "Why did you get that nickname?"

"Cherries are one of my favorite fruits.. one of the reasons for red being my favorite color and when I was in high school, I had a phase where I literally only ate cherries and wore red." I shivered at the memory, "It was horrible."

"Cherry." Harry hummed, "I quite like it."