Chapter 41: Preparing for the Future

David

Yet another day in the city of Kamimo. David tapped the surface of the wooden counter that Kurogiri stood behind rhythmically, completely bored out of his mind. Sure, he had his mother's training lessons in the Jade Forest most of the time, but today was an off day to help recuperate his physicality. His mental state was a different matter.

Speaking of his mother, the orange-haired woman leant next to the wooden wall behind him, flicking a ¥20 coin repeatedly into the air, occasionally landing on head or tails. Sapphire was certainly feeling the boredom too, but she at least had a better level of patience than her son. Perhaps it was due to waiting so long during and in-between missions, she didn't know.

The son of the Veers curiously looked to his left, finding nothing better to do as he looked at the person who he got along the least with. Tomura Shigaraki. He sat on the bar stool next to him, one hand clenched into a fist on the counter whilst the other held a picture of someone David vaguely remembered. He also noticed Shigaraki still sporting the ever-present hand on his face, he never really took it off, and the thing did cross David's mind on more than one occasion. But he didn't bother asking.

Across all the members of the League, Kurogiri was the least bothered about sitting around doing nothing, constantly cleaning the glass cups despite not having solid hands. But the silence was a bit bothersome, so David decided to change that.

David: Y'know, you've been staring at that picture for a while now. Mind telling me why you're so bothered by... Who was it? Midoriya?

Shigaraki: Shouldn't you be busy worrying about those two kids you have a personal vendetta against?

David: *Shrugs* I wouldn't call it worrying, but touché. Though I merely asked a simple question.

Shigaraki: *Sighs* My problems are none of your concern. But if you must know, something's been looming over my head for a while now.

David: Something other than your hand?

Shigaraki: *Irritated* Do you want me to tell you or not?

David: Right... *Smirks, resting his head on one of his tendrils that drooped from his back* Go ahead.

Shigaraki: How can a society that's fully aware of the consequences of villainous actions be so... happy? Those fools keep on smiling no matter what!

Sapphire's ear perked up at their conversation, but didn't provide any further input.

Is he still that wound up about the Hero Killer's limelight? Though, having attention stolen from you can be a bit frustrating... There has to be more to it.

David: Hmm... Well, I can't really answer that since I've never came across a problem like that...

Shigaraki: *Mumbles* Useless as eve-

David: But, *Tomura's attention shifted slightly* perhaps you should find what makes them tick?

Tomura grew confused, what makes a society tick? He didn't know what to think of Veer's obscure answer, but even if he did a sudden knock on the door snapped their attention away from his problem before he swiftly decayed the picture of Izuku Midoriya in the Sports Festival.

Jeez, holding things with only four fingers does seem like a hassle... Shame.

David got up from his seat and joined his mother next to the wall, watching the door slowly open and reveal a man in his mid-forties. He knew the man slightly well, not on a basic level but more so just hearing about him as he leant against the main entrance to their hideout.