Part One - Chapter Ten: Talking with Fernando

Nicola sighed clearing a table, she was working the late shift at the café and couldn’t wait to go home; she had a splitting headache and it had been a difficult month.

Turning around, Nicola frowned as she spotted Fernando sitting in the corner of the café alone; she watched him sadly before she walked over to the counter.

Nearly everyone on Hallows Town had heard about his divorce from Olalla, it had been a shock to learn that she had left Fernando behind and headed back to Liverpool with Nora.

After Nicola had dropped off the dirty dishes, she slowly approached him; she had avoided him for a while because she didn’t want to make things awkward to him since he was only just separated from Olalla.

“Are you okay?” Nicola asked softly, she slowly sat down across from Fernando feeling bad for him; she hadn’t seen him since their kiss while she had been in hospital.

Fernando looked at her before he nodded, allowing his gaze to drop back to his coffee; it was a little strange to think of himself as a single man when he had been with Olalla for ten years.

“I’m doing better,” Fernando whispered he was still surprised that things had moved on so quickly in the month that Olalla had been gone; he hadn’t thought that his former wife would have moved on so quickly.

Fernando had been a little surprised when Nora had dropped the bombshell that Olalla was seeing someone; it made Fernando a little curious if Olalla had left him for the other man.

Fernando looked at Nicola, he wanted answers that only she seemed to be able to give him; he hadn’t forgotten about what had happened last month and there was something about Nicola that he was falling for.

“I want answers Nicola… what happened last month?” Fernando asked staring at Nicola, it had been another thing on his mind in the month since his life had fallen apart.

Nicola groaned under her breath, she had hoped that Fernando had forgotten about what had happened especially their kiss; she couldn’t risk involve him in her dangerous life.

“Fernando, trust me it’s better if you forget what happened,” Nicola said before moving away from him, he stopped her by grabbing her hand allowing the air to fill with static; the blonde swallowed as she looked back at him.

“You can feel it too… I know you can,” Fernando pleaded pulling her towards him, he didn’t know what the connection was but he knew that he couldn’t let her walk out of his life.

Nicola nodded softly as Fernando stood from his table, they were pretty much alone in the café and there was no way to see what was happening; his lips brushing against hers, wanting to feel something other than the pain that Olalla had left behind.

“Not here,” Nicola murmured pulling back from Fernando and looking around, she couldn’t risk Lydia or anyone seeing them; she would be in so much trouble for just being with him.

Fernando wanted nothing more to kiss her, he had no idea why she felt so important to him but in the past three months; he couldn’t see how things could have gotten so serious between them.

“When do you finish?” Fernando asked making Nicola look at the clock above the counter; the blonde sighed wondering if she was doing the right thing.

***

“Okay… you saved my daughter from being hit by car, you can find places that don’t exist, you have this sort of magical presence and I can’t get you out of my mind,” Fernando said sitting down across from Nicola, the two had treated back to his house for a moment of privacy to talk about things.