Part One - Chapter Four: Strange Connections

Fernando smiled as he spotted Nicola taking someone’s order as he sat at a table; he had just finished his morning shift at the gym and had come to the local café for something to eat.

Fernando watched her as she moved about, there was something about her that just seemed beautiful to watch; she stopped when she spotted him making him smile at her.

“Hello welcome to the Flag Café, my name’s Nicola and I’ll be your waitress today,” Nicola said hoping that he didn’t remember her, she didn’t want any trouble and she didn’t want to raise any more questions.

Fernando smile at her, he shook his head amused that she was pretending that she didn’t know him; he just wanted to get to know the woman that had saved his daughter.

Fernando had asked around and no one had been able to tell him much about Nicola, only that she was an orphan and that the people that she lived with where dangerous.

“Hola Nicola, I’m Fernando,” Fernando said making Nicola roll her eyes as she looked at him, she wondered what he was up-to; she didn’t want any more trouble and she didn’t want to think of their odd connection.

“I’ll have the chicken salad sandwich and a cup of coffee,” Fernando said making Nicola nod as she write down his order, he watched her for a moment before she looked at him; he knew that he was interested her.

“Is there anything else?” Nicola asked making Fernando shake his head, she quickly walked away so that she could place his order; she didn’t want to spend too much time around him.

Fernando didn’t have to wait long before Nicola returned with his order, he was pleased to see how quick service was; he smiled at her as she placed it in front of him

“Will that be everything?” Nicola asked making Fernando shake his head, she looked at him puzzled as she glanced at the clock while Fernando watched her; she knew that this couldn’t be good.

“When is your lunch break? Fernando asked making Nicola stiffen wondering where he was going with this, she wasn’t stupid to get involved with a married man.

“I want to buy you lunch for saving Nora,” Fernando explained, he looked at Nicola hoping that he would leave her alone, she would get into trouble if Lydia caught her with him.

Nicola had enough grief from Lydia and Nathan, being around Fernando only made things worse and she doubted that there was anything that could be done about that.

Nicola stared at him but she wasn’t able to speak before one of the other waitresses called out to her; she groaned looking back wondering what she wanted while Fernando peeked over at her.

“Your shifts over Nicola,” the waitress called making Nicola freeze, she turned to look at Fernando who smiled at her and patted the seat next to him meaning for her to sit down so he could buy her lunch.

“I promised Laura I would watch Tommy in twenty minutes,” Nicola said turning him down, she smiled at him and took off her apron so that she could leave as quickly as possible.

***

It was later that evening that Fernando saw Nicola coming out of his neighbour’s house, she had changed out of her waitress uniform and was wearing a black printed tunic and black textured leggings paired with brown ruched faux suede ankle boots.

“Nicola,” Fernando greeted making Nicola stop walking and look at him, she shouldered her blue saddle bag knowing that she had to get him.

Fernando quickly approached Nicola, he couldn’t believe his luck that he had spotted her leaving to head home; he knew that he had to take a chance to speak to her.