Part Two - Chapter Twenty-Five: Finding a Way

Fernando glared at the man that stood before him, it didn't take a guess for him to know that it was William; he could see what his children distrusted in the man before him, there was something about William that didn't seem right. 

"Hello you must be Fernando," William greeted smiling at Fernando while Nora glared at him as she cuddled into her father's leg, she didn't want to go home with William but she couldn't leave her mother alone with him. 

"And you must be William," Fernando replied trying to control himself, he wanted to hurt William for messing with Nicola; he would do anything to be able to hold her like he could. 

Charlotte looked at her father, she could see that he was struggling to control himself; no matter what happened, he wanted to be sure that Nicola was safe above everything else, even if it meant him having to cope with William for a while. 

"Papa," Lucas whimpered drawing Fernando's eyes away from William and to his son; the dark haired man shifted nervously, Neena had only blocked his magical essence from the coven, it worried him since there was a chance that Fernando would be able to sense it. 

"Look after your madre for me... make sure that she is safe," Fernando murmured softly to his children, who nodded before he turned back to William and took a deep breath; he would be keeping a close eye on the other man in any way that he could. 

William frowned looking at Nicola's ex-husband it was clear that he didn't like him, not that William could blame him but he knew that the sooner Neena's plan was in action the better. 

"Come on children... your mother is waiting for you at home," William said smiling smugly, he couldn't help but rub in the fact that he was going to see Nicola and Fernando never would.

***

Pacing his living room, Fernando tried to shake his thoughts about going to see Nicola and talking to her; he knew that if he were to see her that she would die, however he didn't want her near William. 

Pausing for a second, Fernando smiled as a thought crossed his mind and he wondered why he had never thought of this before; the curse stated that he couldn't see Nicola however if he were to call her then he could hear her voice and he wouldn't be seeing her.

Fernando picked up his house phone and slowly dialed Nicola's home number, he hoped that she would be the one to answer; he wanted nothing more than to hear her voice again. 

"Hello?" Nicola answered making the breath catch in Fernando's throat, he nearly moaned at the sound of her voice; before he cleared his throat, he needed to say something before she hung up on him. 

"Nicola?" Fernando asked warily, he knew that she was there as he heard her move out of the hallway and up into her bedroom; he couldn't believe that he was speaking to her after four years and everything that had happened to them. 

"Fernando?" Nicola said closing the door behind her, any feelings that she had for William fell out of the window as she spoke with her ex-husband; her mind felt clearer than it had in a long time. 

Fernando closed his eyes as he reviled in the sound of her voice, it had been so long since they had last spoken to one another; it didn't seem real that he was doing so now and he didn't want to think about everything that had happened to them. 

"It's me... Nicola," Fernando murmured leaning back on his couch, this was enough for him even if he couldn't see her; he could speak to her and that was enough for him for now.

The line was quiet for a moment as they let the fact that this was actually happening sink in; the former couple had never thought they would get a moment like this again. 

"Nando... I love you," Nicola confessed as tears filled her eyes, she couldn't believe that she was being able to speak to him; she couldn't remember that last time that she had heard him speak. 

Fernando couldn't stop his own from falling, he had dreamt of this moment for so long and it seemed so hard to think that this was all he would ever get; he had imagined her voice for so long saying that she still loved him. 

"I love you too... so much Nicola," Fernando said choking softly making Nicola sniff as she wiped away her own tears; she couldn't believe that they were finally speaking to one another.

The two were silent for a while just listening to one another breath, they didn't know what to say to one another nor did they care; it had been so long and they knew that they would never get to see one another. 

"I miss you Nicola... I wish I could go back before all of this," Fernando whispered softly running a hand through his hair, Nicola swallowed as she listened to him speak; she wanted nothing more than to be able to wrap her arms around him. 

The former couple doubted there would ever be a moment where they didn't miss each other, it was still hard even after all that had happened; they still wished that they could be together. 

"I miss you too," Nicola mumbled making Fernando smile, he needed her like he needed to breath and if talking on the phone was all that he had to be with her then he would take it.

***

"Why didn't we think of this earlier?" Nicola mused laying back on her bed after she had settled the children down for the night; she loved talking to Fernando and hadn't been able to end the call. 

Fernando shrugged as he yawned, he wanted nothing more than to talk to her until he fell asleep then call her back in the morning; he didn't care that he would likely to be exhausted during training the next day. 

"I have no idea amor... I think Lilia said something against it but I'm not sure, nor do I care right now," Fernando replied making Nicola laugh softly as she climbed into bed and made herself comfortable for the night. 

Nicola had already told him that she would end it with William, she didn't know what it was but she felt drugged whenever he was about and she didn't like it. 

Fernando had express his delight in having Nicola having only him, he loved her more than anything and wanted to make this work even if they had no other options but speaking over the phone. 

"Nando sleep, I will speak to you in the morning," Nicola said hearing her ex-husband yawned, he shook his head as he tried to keep himself awake; he didn't want this to end so soon. 

"I don't want to... I love you Nicola," Fernando murmured trying to keep his eyes open but he knew that he was losing the battle, Nicola laughed softly and shook her head at how stubborn he was.

"I love you too," Nicola whispered curling up in bed, she yawned as she thought about Fernando; making him chuckle as he started to drift off to sleep. 

"Buenas noches," Fernando murmured softly making Nicola smile before she closed her own eyes, he would phone her again tomorrow to speak with her; he would never get bored of hearing her voice. 

"Goodnight," Nicola replied before disconnecting the phone, it would be the first night in four years that either of them slept peacefully.