Part Two - Chapter Seven: Unwanted Visitor

Steven watched as Fernando tried to settle Charlotte, the last couple of days had been hard enough and he knew that his friend was struggling; he just hoped that Nicola would pull through whatever was happening to her. 

The doctors had no idea what was wrong with the blonde, her surgery had been a success and yet there had been no improvement in Nicola's health. 

"Any news?" Steven asked knowing that Fernando had been to the hospital, he had taken Charlotte and Nora to see Nicola and he hoped that they had gotten some good news while they were there. 

Fernando shook his head, whatever had happened to Nicola was clearly of a magical nature; someone had cursed his wife since the doctors had no idea what was causing all of this. 

They had originally thought that it was appendicitis and had removed her appendix but there were no signs of Nicola making any sort of recovery past this. 

"It'll be okay... she's a fighter," Steven reassured concerned for his friend, he was so busy these days looking after two children as well as working at the club that Fernando barely had any time for himself. 

Steven and his wife, Alex, were doing their best to help him in any way that they could; they were being supportive since things were still stressful after the move from Hallows Town back to the city. 

"I know, I just wish that they knew what was wrong," Fernando said looking to his best friend, he hated that Nicola was suffering and being in a coma right now meant that she was defenseless. 

Steven opened his mouth to say something when the doorbell rang, he paused knowing that Alex was in the living room with the older children; the two men were silent for a moment listening to Alex going to answer the door. 

Fernando looked down at Charlotte, he wanted nothing more than for Nicola to be home with them but it wasn't possible right now; he hated that he couldn't be with his wife when she needed him the most.

Before Steven or Fernando had the chance to say anything, the two men were interrupted by Olalla walking into the kitchen followed by Alex who was trying to convince her to leave. 

Olalla smiled spotting Fernando, she had waited a couple of days before coming to see him and she was pleased to see that Nicola wasn't around; she wanted to speak with her ex-husband having heard he was back in Liverpool to stay. 

"I think you should leave," Alex hissed trying to get Olalla to go, she didn't know why the woman was back but she had a feeling that things hadn't panned out with her last boyfriend. 

Alex didn't like Olalla, they had been close before Fernando's injury but upon hearing how Olalla had just dumped Nora on Fernando and took off to America with her new boyfriend without a second thought it had changed Alex's mind. 

Olalla rolled her eyes, she had no interesting in leaving before she had a chance to speak with Fernando; she was single now and everyone knew that, she was sure that she could convince him to give her a second chance.

"Olalla, what are you doing here?" Fernando asked as Steven and Alex left them alone taking Charlotte with them, they could see that this was a private talk and they hoped Fernando wouldn't do something stupid. 

Olalla smiled at him sweetly as she slowly approached him, she had been hoping that he wouldn't send her away; she was sure deep down that he still had some feelings for her after everything that had happened between them. 

"I heard about Nicola... so I thought I would come and help out with the girls," Olalla said sweetly making Fernando glare at her, he didn't like how she referred to his and Nicola's daughters as the girls. 

Olalla may have been Nora's mother but she wasn't related to Charlotte in anyway; Olalla smiled at her ex-husband as she gave him a hug which he stiffened at.

Fernando pushed Olalla away, he didn't know who had told her that Nicola was in hospital but there was something clearly going on here; he didn't trust his ex-wife since the news had been kept from the papers at his request. 

Olalla sighed as she crossed her arms and looked at the wedding ring on his finger, she never understood what he had seen in the small town girl and she had been hurt when she had heard that he had come back to Liverpool with her. 

"I left him, Nando... I missed you too much," Olalla revealed making Fernando frown as he stepped away from his ex-wife, he didn't trust her and he knew that they had been right to end things when they had. 

Fernando knew that Steven and Alex were listening, they didn't like Olalla and it was properly uncomfortable for them to have her here; it wasn't pleasant for him either but she was still Nora's mother by law.

"I love Nicola and we are happily married... you made your bed now lie in it," Fernando hissed making Olalla purse her lips, she wasn't going to let this go and even the former footballer could see that. 

Olalla stood silently for a moment watching Fernando, she could see that he was happy with Nicola and that hurt; he had never been this happy with her. 

Olalla sharply turned on her heel and stormed out of the house without another word, this was far from over and she wasn't going to give up; she was going to get her family back one way or another. 

Fernando took a deep breath as he watched her leave, he couldn't shake the feeling that this wasn't the last that he had seen of his ex-wife; he wondered for a moment just how far Olalla would go to get what she wanted back.

***

"Hola?" Fernando greeted answering his phone as he finished settling Charlotte down to bed for the night, he was almost glad that Steven and Alex were here since they were worried that Olalla might come back. 

Fernando froze as he was greeted by Nicola's doctor, there were two reasons that the doctor could be calling him and he prayed that it was good news; he clutched the counter as the doctor slowly explained what was going on at that moment. 

Fernando didn't say a word as the doctor told him that things had gone drastically downhill for Nicola, her heart had stopped beating and they had rushed her back to surgery. 

Not wanting to hear another word, Fernando disconnected the call before angrily launching the house phone across the room; it shattered when it hit the kitchen wall causing Steven and Alex to come and see what was going on. 

"They've rushed her down to surgery... the infections gotten worse," Fernando whispered holding on to the counter to steady himself, his knuckles white as he held himself up; he couldn't believe that this was happening to them. 

Steven watched knowing that Fernando was moments from breaking, this was killing him and there was nothing that he could do to save her; they just had to hope the doctors could fix this. 

Steven moved to comfort Fernando while Alex left them alone, they didn't need to scare the children with what was happening right now. 

"They said... they said that she could... I don't know what I would do... she could die," Fernando rambled crying making Steven stare at his friend, it hurt him to see Fernando like this but now the fate of Fernando's wife's life seemed directly linked to that of the former footballers.