Part One - Chapter Twenty-Three: Together Again

Fernando stayed curled against Nicola’s back when he woke up, he had no intention of letting her go again; he knew that he had done the right thing in saving her, but it had hurt watching her grieve for him.

Nicola was sound asleep next to him making Fernando smile, he had brought her back to the coven house after he had healed her since he didn’t want the others worrying when they discovered that she wasn’t there in the morning.

The coven had been shocked to find that Fernando was not only alive but he was also now a whitelighter, they had quickly accepted that he was back; though it left questions on how he would move around a town since they thought he had been murdered.

Fernando smiled down at Nicola as she turned over and rested her head on his shoulder; he wrapped his arms around her and held her close, he couldn’t believe that they were back together now.

Fernando ran a hand down her naked form and smiled softly, he didn’t know what he would do without her; Nicola murmured in her sleep making Fernando frown at her words.

“I’m here nena,” Fernando cooed softly making Nicola relax in her sleep, he knew that this had been hard on her; but he really didn’t have much of a choice not when things had happened so quickly.

Nicola curled into him making Fernando smile, he would make things up to her and explain when she had rested; they had forever now and he had no intentions of being parted from her again.

Looking at the ceiling, Fernando sighed looking up at the ceiling, he felt odd having his natural hair colour again and he knew he’d have to do something about his hair; it was starting to annoy him and he needed a haircut.

Nicola slowly woke, she couldn’t bring herself to open her eyes as she felt Fernando’s grip flex around her middle; she couldn’t believe he was a whitelighter now and she feared what it meant.

Nicola could remember what her mother had told her that it was the only way for him to survive, for him to be with her but it didn’t mean that she had any idea what would happen now.

“Nico,” Fernando murmured pressing a kiss to her lips, Nicola waited for a moment before slowly opening her eyes; she took a deep breath and smiled weakly at Fernando.

Fernando smiled softly as he pulled away, he wanted to make sure that everything was okay and he feared just what had happened while he had been away from her.

“Morning,” Fernando whispered softly before he kissed her again, he couldn’t help himself and the past five weeks had certainly left their mark on both of the couple; it had killed him not being able to come and comfort Nicola while she grieved over his death. Nicola smiled at him as he pulled back,

Fernando rested his head against hers; he could sense her reluctance to believe that he was here with her and he didn’t blame her everything had messed up in such a horrible way.

“I’m here Nicola,” Fernando murmured brushing his lips against hers, he kissed her softly again before slipping away from her.

Nicola watched him as he pulled on some boxers, Fernando smiled at her as he ran a hand through his hair; he’d have to get some hair dye since he wasn’t used to being ginger.

“I’ll go make us some breakfast… then I’ll explain,” Fernando promised making Nicola nod as she watched him; she couldn’t believe he was here with her again.

***

Fernando and Nicola sat in silence for a moment as they ate breakfast; she was still slightly in shock after what had happened and he didn’t blame her, he had never wanted to be away from her.

Nicola had pulled on her grey half placket nightie while Fernando had made breakfast for them, she guessed that they had a long talk ahead of them and it wouldn’t help if she stayed naked.

“What happened?” Nicola asked wanting answers about why he had stayed away from her, she was still a little wary about what was going on and she was scared that Fernando would leave her again.

Fernando watched Nicola, he could see that she was a little hurt that he hadn’t come to her when he had come back to life but he hadn’t been able to.

“After I had died… I ended up in the heavens; I was greeted by Leonardo,” Fernando explained making Nicola nod, she knew of Leo because he was Ryan’s father but she had never liked any of the Elders since they always seemed like such a meddling bunch.

Fernando nibbled on his toast, he knew that this wasn’t easy but he wasn’t going to leave Nicola again; he didn’t care what happened only that he had her in his life and she was safe.

“I was meant to save you and sacrifice myself to do so, however because they had promised that this was our reward and I was given my wings,” Fernando continued with a smile, he was technically a guardian angel right now but that didn’t matter to him only that he could be with Nicola again.

Nicola nodded along as Fernando moved closer to her, she sighed and looked down at her hands hating that this had happened to them; she took a deep breath trying to calm her nerves that seemed to be getting the better of her.

“Ryan helped me adjust after they made me a whitelighter, they said it was the only way I could come back to you,” Fernando murmured a little annoyed, he had hated that he had been forced to stay away and he had sworn quite a bit at Ryan for not doing more to comfort Nicola.

Fernando remembered Ryan warning him that relationships between witches and whitelighters were forbidden; he had confronted Leonardo about this, only to be reassured that Nicola’s and his would never be forbidden.

“I had to be able to control my powers before I could returned to you… I was always watching over you,” Fernando whispered taking Nicola’s hands, he smiled at her and moved closed wanting to make up for everything that had happened.

Nicola looked at him making Fernando sigh, he knew that he had hurt her and he wanted to take that pain away; he loved Nicola so much and he hated that she was hurting because of what had happened.

“I heard you call out to me… I knew something was wrong, so I came for you… I never thought I’d have to see you that way,” Fernando whispered shaking his head, his voice breaking at the thought of what could have happened; he could have lost her if he hadn’t acted quickly enough when he had sensed that something was wrong.

Nicola rested her head against his, she knew that she shouldn’t have approached the demon but it had brought Fernando back to her and she couldn’t bring herself to regret that.

“You only ever have to think of me and I’ll be there…” Fernando whispered leaning forward, they were so close now and he wanted nothing more than to kiss her now that he could.

Nicola closed the gap between them, Fernando felt her kiss him hesitantly; she gently wrapped her arms around his neck pulling him closer.

“I love you,” Nicola whispered making Fernando smile as he cupped her face and kissed her softly; he had missed her so much over the past month and nothing would part them again.

The couple moved back onto the bed, they would finally be able to live their lives without having any sort of worries about the future that was coming for them.