Part One - Chapter Six: Quick Decisions

Fernando didn’t know what it was but he had to see Nicola again, it was like he was addicted to her presence and if he didn’t see her then she was all he could think about.

It made spending time with Olalla a nightmare, Fernando had to think of ways to keep from having sex with his wife; he had nearly called out Nicola’s name one night and after that he knew that he was in trouble.

Olalla seemed to be more clingy than normal, Fernando didn’t know what it was but she always insisted that they spent time together.

Since Nicola was avoiding him at all costs, Fernando always had lunch at her café so she would have to speak to him; Nicola had tried to avoid him then but she found it difficult.

“What can I get you, Fernando?” Nicola asked brushing some hair from her face, she offered him a quick smile knowing that it had been a few weeks since he had arrived in town and he still seemed drawn to her.

“The usual… and may you could join me today?” Fernando said cheekily, making Nicola roll her eyes; he had asked her the same question every day for two weeks.

“I don’t think so,” Nicola said jotting down his order from memory, she smiled at him before turning on her heel to walk away; she was surprised that he kept coming to the café where she worked.

“Please,” Fernando called after her, he knew that he was usually her last order before she took her own lunch and he hoped that for once she would join him; Nicola bit her lip as she looked back at him, she knew she shouldn’t.

“Okay,” Nicola said unable to stop himself, she cursed silently as Fernando smiled at her pleased that she had agreed; she turned away and headed into the kitchen as Fernando smiled quietly to himself.

It wasn’t long before Nicola returned and sat next to him, he grinned at her as she watched him; Fernando had to admit she looked nice in her black jersey blouse and pull-on jeggings paired with navy leather zip detail ankle boots.

“So how are you?” Nicola asked making Fernando shrug his shoulders, their brief talks often consisted of this small talk; he loved talking to her, she seemed to understand him.

Nicola sighed watching him, the connection she felt with Fernando seemed to grow when she was with him; it made her feel warm and fuzzy, it was a feeling that she was getting used to having around Fernando.

“I’m good thanks…” Fernando said making her nod, she watched him for a moment; she knew that since she had been more actively using her powers that she had to be careful.

Nicola didn’t want anyone to learn that she was a witch, the last thing that she wanted to do was start another Salem witch trials in her home town; she had to be careful not to expose magic.

“How’s Olalla and Nora? Are they settling into Hallows well?” Nicola said, she remembered that she had bumped into his wife earlier in the week.

Olalla was a little frosty with her but Nicola knew that a lot of people in Hallows Town associated her with the less friendly members of her coven; Fernando nodded as his lunch was delivered while Nicola watched him intently, he furrowed his brow at her wondering where her lunch was.

“I’m not staying…” Nicola said, she had things that she had to do to help the magical community around her; she had worked hard to integrate with them after Lydia had isolated the coven from them at Gideon’s insistence.

Fernando watched her sadly, he had wanted to spend time with her since Nicola made a lot of effort to avoid him; she watched him for a moment wondering why he looked sad.