Part One - Chapter Twenty-One: Suicide Mission

Nicola lay in bed, it had been a month since Fernando had been buried and five weeks since his death; she couldn’t bring herself to care anymore, she wanted all of this to end and the pain wouldn’t go away.

Nicola tried to function for the sake of her coven, she got up had breakfast, went to work, came home and had dinner then she went to bed; she wanted nothing more than to forget everything that had happened.

Nicola had stopped practicing her magic after she had lost Fernando, it didn’t feel right anymore; she couldn’t bring herself to get involved with anything related to magic which had taken Fernando away from her.

“Morning,” Marissa greeted stepping into Nicola’s bedroom, she was carrying a cup of tea and some toast; Nicola didn’t speak, she lay staring at the pillow next to her where Fernando should have been.

Marissa watched her sadly wondering if Nicola would ever fully recover from what had happened; though it was clear that she wouldn’t, they didn’t know if she’d make it to the end of the year.

The entire coven was frightened that Nicola would either die of a broken heart or she would do something to end her own life; they were keeping a close eye on her so that they could help her in some way.

“I brought you some breakfast,” Marissa said softly, she knew that Nicola wasn’t herself anymore; they didn’t know what to do to help her out of her grief before it was too late.

They had tried to summon Fernando’s spirit but kept being told by one of their parents that he had completed his destiny and he was still adjusting to the afterlife making the wonder if there was something more going on.

Ryan didn’t come to the house anymore and the witches were relieved at that since they didn’t know how Nicola would react to seeing him after he had failed to save Fernando.

Nicola lay quiet for a moment a blank look on her face before she sat up, she smiled at Marissa who looked at her concerned; she had made up her mind on what she would do.

“Thank you,” Nicola said taking the food that was offered, she didn’t want her friends worrying about her and she wanted to keep them in the dark with what she planned to do later that night.

Marissa hovered for a moment, completely unsure what to make of the blonde’s behaviour; she watched as Nicola ate the toast and had the cup of tea, she didn’t know what to think about the sudden change.

“I better get ready for work,” Nicola mused peeking at the clock, she knew that she was going to enjoy today and that was all that mattered; one last day before she could put an end to all of this.

Marissa watched Nicola head into her bathroom, a horrible feeling settling over her and she worried just what was going on in Nicola’s head; she feared that the blonde might have finally lost her mind.

Shaking her head, Marissa walked out of the bedroom and headed downstairs leaving Nicola to get ready; she nibbled on her lip sure that it was just her mind messing with her.

Amber and Adrian looked at her as she came down stairs, they pulled away from one another not wanting Nicola to find out that they had started dating in the past few weeks in fear of upsetting her.

“She’s smiling?” Marissa told the couple ignoring their closeness, she was happy her brother had found someone and she hoped they wouldn’t suffer like Nicola and Fernando had.

Amber frowned looking to Adrian, she had no idea what to think about any of this and she hoped that Nicola was getting better in some small way.

“Maybe she’s finally moving on…” Adrian said with a small smile at his sister, he didn’t want to think that she was going to do something stupid.