Chapter 39

JUVIA'S POV :

" The number you're trying to call is unreachable. Please try again later."

I cursed under my breath and tried again. " The number you're trying—-" Damn it. I cut the phone call and tossed my phone on the bed.

I've been trying to call Gajeel for hours now and that idiot didn't respond to me once. He hasn't called me or texted me for a while now, usually he makes sure to contact me even if it's to annoy me. He's never been like this, not giving a sign of life for almost two weeks. And it's seriously staring to worry me. What happened to him? Why isn't he responding me? Is he alright? Does something bad happened ?—-Stop this. Juvia. Don't go paranoid.

I shook my head to get a grip on myself. Of course, he's fine. It's Gajeel after all. But that doesn't mean, I wouldn't worry until I make sure he's though. With that has been decided, I made my way downstairs.

It was almost 7pm, I got back from school an hour ago and had just finished bathing before calling Gajeel.

- " Oh hey Juvia," I gasped, jumping slightly as I turned back startled.

- " Damn it. Erza. You gave me a heart attack!" I whined placing a hand on my chest. She laughed.

I smiled after and went to give her a quick hug, which she returned. "When did you get back?"

- " A few minutes ago, I was about to head room..." she said before stretching her arms mumbling.
"—have to get the hospital smell off me and sleep..." her voice was muffled at the end as she yawned.

I bite my lip knowing that she's at the hospital for the last two days with Gray. But I didn't know if I could ask her about him.

I brushed the thought off and suggested. "I'll make you something to eat, you look clearly exhausted. Go and rest Erza."

She shook her head lightly and smiled grateful. "No thanks Juvia, I've ate with Natsu before coming here. But a coffee will do," she added before frowning. " you don't look that well yourself. Something happened ?"

- " N-No." I let out taken aback by the sudden question and by the way her eyes were scanning me. " Nothing happened. I just didn't get enough sleep yesterday." When she still looked unconvinced, I added. " I was on Netflix whole night."

Her expression passed doubtful to the 'strict mom look'. "Juvia..." she shook her head exasperated.

- " S-sorry. Had to bing that show." I mumbled, which was not entirely lie.

It was true, I've binged the new Netflix show, Never have I ever yesterday and by the way it was amazing. It kept my mind out of the whole message thing, so I'm grateful to the show.

- " Yeah, next time you do it, I'm gonna smash your lap."

- " There won't be a next time! I promise!" I cut her off quickly, knowing very well that she's capable of actually doing it. " I'll get you some coffee." I added, trying to change her mood, which thankfully worked.

Five minutes later, we were seated together on the couch, calmly drinking our coffees.

- " How's your day?" I asked breaking the comfortable silence.

My friend shrugged. "I've seen worse..."

- " That bad?"

- " Yeah..." she sighed in her thoughts. " I hate seeing my friends in pain and not be able to do something about it..."

I'd an idea about who she was talking about but I couldn't bring myself to ask her, though I was dying inside. Erza must have sensed my hesitation since she placed a hand on my shoulder. When I looked at her, she just smiled warmly and knowingly.
" He'll be fine Juvia." I held her stare a moment, flushed while Gray's face flashed in my mind, I unconsciously let myself smile a little bit, a tiny twitch before blinking back at her. "Don't know what you're taking about." I turned my head, sipping my coffee, hoping Erza didn't notice my little flip.