Shame On Me!

Gennie

The week went faster than I had imagined after Wesley left, Emily had returned and couldn't stop teasing me about Wesley. I missed him and had called him on several intervals, and he kept calling every day.

Work was as usual. But I had concentrated more on my work, always looking forward to going back to speak with Wesley in the evenings after work.

Finally, the most dreaded weekend came, when I had to take the bulls by the horns. I had packed my bags for the weekend, held up the gold Rolex I had gotten for my mom, it was supposed to be the olive branch that would signify peace instead of war.

I sighed and threw it back into the suitcase. Nervousness was eating me up. I rehearsed my speech of how I was going to say it in front of the mirror. I sighed again.

Gennie, you can't keep a pregnancy for long, sooner she will know, it's best if you tell her earlier.

When I arrived Calabar my home town, I was so nervous, it was the same road that I was always happy to travel back home,  but now, seated in the back seat of a taxi, I was nervous. Mom was going to flare up for sure.

I met Ofon first on the front lawn. Ofon was nine, he was my cousin, Aunt Julie's son, they had moved in with us five years ago after her husband died in a car crash.

When the little boy saw me, his eyes widened and he ran towards me.

"Gennie!" He squealed.

I briefly wrapped my arms around his kid-size frame.

"I'll go tell everyone you're here!" He scurried off.

The taxi driver helped me with my stuff inside the compound. Carrying something heavy wasn't good for the little one inside.

"Oh my God! So it's true!" Aunt Julie came out first, then Ofon, he grabbed my handbag from my hand, searching the contents.

"Let me have it! Give it back there's nothing there!" I snapped, but he had already disappeared inside with it.

My mom came out shortly after. I hurried to her, hugging her tight. I didn't know how the news was going to change our relationship but I knew I had to hold her for this short time, to save this moment up in my brain so I would always remember it.

"You've added weight girl!" My mom said before releasing me.

"Oh really?" I asked, she was swift to notice the changes in my body, which made me really nervous.

"It's a good thing, you were too skinny!" Mom added.

"You're right Idara, she was too skinny I was afraid she'd one day break!" Aunt Julie hilariously chipped in. I laughed.

They took my things inside, I met a disappointed Ofon with my handbag in the living room. I stuck out my tongue towards him.

"I told you there's nothing in there!"

"I take back my excitement then, if you didn't buy anything for me you better start going back!" He said with a disappointed pout.

"Money is hard to come by nowadays, so stop expecting gifts from people!" I snatched my bag from him.

He stuck his tongue out. "You're broke, Mom said only ugly girls are broke!"

"Good thing I bought that talkative-padlock, I'll lock your mouth for the entire weekend!" I smirked.

"Mom! Gennie said she'd lock my..."

"Ofon come try these shoes let's see if they would fit!" Aunt Julie called out to him.

He paused and looked up at me, his features softened.
"Liars would go to fire!" He scurried off.

I smiled, Ofon had grown so big. I had missed him, his troubles, I used to bathe, feed, and take care of him, I wondered if I could do the same for my baby. My hand unconsciously caressed my belly, a smile creased my face.

"Gennie? What are you doing? Come open this other bag!" Aunt Julie called.

"Nothing's there, just my clothes aunt!"

Ofon was busy with the toys and snacks I bought him, it was so overwhelming how little gifts had children so happy.

"You're the best!" He was screaming all through in excitement.

When dinner was served. I sat uncomfortably under my mom's stare.

Aunt Julie was talking, she was talkative no doubt so it didn't surprise me.

"So Gennie how's work?" My mom asked, passing me the chicken stew.

"Fine mom!" I answered.

That was the only thing I said throughout dinner. It was quite odd for them. Mom was usually pissed at our endless and pointless discussions with Aunt Julie especially after being away for almost a year now.

After dinner, I went straight to my room. I lay on my bed. It was almost Eight o'clock, I could hear Ofon running around the house with his new toys.

"If this thing won't let you sleep tonight I'll cease it from you!" Mom reprimanded Ofon, and I heard him run to his room. I smiled.

How was I going to tell her? What would I say about Wesley? How would mom react to Wesley being American? Would she accept a half-cast? Should I just tell her on Sunday when I'm about leaving? No, that would make me a coward.

I texted Wesley.

I'm home babe, I've never been so nervous!

He replied immediately.

It's not right to feel nervous at home, so tell her and get it off your chest!

I sighed.

I'll just tell her tomorrow let me settle in first.

He replied again.

Alright then, rest until tomorrow! Goodnight sunshine!

The next morning, I was woken by a feather up my nose, the tickling sensation made me jump from the bed. Ofon laughed running out of my room. I huffed angrily, I'll spank him when I get him.

I brushed my teeth and went down. I spotted him by the corner of the living room in his pajamas, busy with his truck. I sneaked up on him, giving him a light knock on his head. He screamed in shock, I raised my hand about to strike again.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry M'lady!" He squeaked.

I moved away from him. The smell of fresh moi-moi filled the entire kitchen as I stepped in. Mom was there, Aunt Julie didn't wake yet, she was always the last to wake.

Throughout the entire morning, I didn't say anything, my mom was just staring, so did Aunt Julie. I caught them once or twice gesturing at me.

After lunch, I cleaned up, Ofon helping me take the dishes to the kitchen. After doing the dishes. I left the kitchen. I met my mom in the balcony, reading a book, one of the romance novels I got her. When she noticed me she said.

"You have eyes for interesting novels! I love this one!"

"I'd figured you would!"

I looked at it, it was the exact same book I was reading that night I waited for Wesley in my hotel room, waiting to commit the iniquity that was tormenting me now.

I looked at her relaxed mood and decided that was the right time to uplift my burden.

"Mom, I need us to talk!" My eyes dropped when she met it. She was going to be disappointed. Shame on me for disappointing this woman.

~