TWINS!!

Gennie

Since Wesley arrived in Nigeria, I hadn't been myself, in fact since the news he was coming.

I felt really comfortable talking about random stuff with him. I was a bit uneasy whenever he said I looked different. Was I? He said that yesterday when I picked him up from the airport and this morning at breakfast. I wonder what I looked like, was it the bad different or the good different? I just couldn't ask, couldn't wreck my self-esteem.

Throughout the morning, we had talked and watched the television. I didn't have ideas on what else to do.

During lunch that afternoon, we went down, we talked about the interior decors, and all other irrelevant things, it was funny I couldn't stop laughing.

Then after putting down his fork and having a glass of water, he abruptly asked.

"What gender is the baby? A boy? A girl?"

Seeing his face, I knew it was the opening into the real reason he was here. I knew it was time to go into the deal of the day. I smiled inwardly.

"I dunno! I haven't done an ultrasound yet, too early, he's just six weeks old so it's hard to determine his sex!"

"His? You're hoping for a boy?"

I didn't realize I was using 'his' until he pointed out. I wanted a son that'll take after his looks no doubt, his hair, pointed nose, full lips, most importantly his height, his eyes and... I blushed at my insane thoughts.

"Maybe!" I sighed. "Don't you want a son?" I asked.

"Any gender is totally fine, I have no problems at all!" He grinned.

"Wesley," his hazel eyes fell on me. "Your wife, does she know about the baby?"

Frowns instantly creased his forehead. He looked away. I only stared at him, expecting an answer.

There was a brief silence, I looked down at my napkin, I didn't mean to make things awkward for him but I had to know, I needed to be certain another woman wasn't somewhere crying out her heart. I had had a taste of heartbreak in my life, when I saw my mom weeping every night and day after my dad left us for another woman, it was difficult and heartbreaking for me to watch her that way and it wasn't something I would've wished anyone else, not with me being the bitch.

"She doesn't need to know!" He said, looking away.

"Why not? She's your wife!" My voice raised a bit.

"She's not my wife Gennie, Helena and I are getting divorced, I had already told you this!" His voice raised too.

"That's the point, you did tell me but that was a month ago, that means it's either there's no divorce nowhere or one party is unwilling to part ways!" I ranted, pouring out my mind.

"If I had my way Helena and I would've been history but, she refuses to sign the papers!"

"Why do you want to walk away from her anyway?" I rolled my eyes and took a sip of my drink.

I asked, interested in knowing why he was divorcing his wife.

"There's a lot, I don't want to bother you with my life history but.."

"But what? Wesley, I'm carrying you, child, at least I have to know a bit about you!" I put down the glass, fixing my gaze on his face.

"It's a really long story, it might bore you!" He chuckled.

"I have no plans for today! Please bore me!"

I dropped my folded napkin on the table. Brushing off a strand of hair off my face. He took another glass of water. He went silent for sometimes, making me think the subject had dropped.