Acting On Impulse

Wesley

I returned from the agency, the lieutenant had asked to see me. After a screening had been done in his office, I left. The joy on my face when I realized I was due for a promotion. Maybe luck was beginning to shine again on me! Maybe going to New York was after all not a bad idea. New York City gave me the biggest joy I had ever received.

I parked at home and headed straight to my telephone. I quickly dialed her number. I would've called earlier that weekend but since I was at home, I couldn't risk the news to Beatrice's eavesdropping head. I had waited for the right and appropriate time when I was alone to talk things out with Gennie.

She answered at the first ring.

"Hello!"  As her soft voice came through, I couldn't help but smile. She must've been waiting for my call for days now.

"It's Wesley!"

"Finally it's tomorrow!" I heard her hiss.

"I'm sorry I didn't call earlier than this!" I spoke into the receiver.

"Next time, just keep to your words!" I heard her snapped. Was she offended?

"I'm really sorry I didn't keep my word! I thought about calling but where I was over the weekend, I couldn't make such calls." I honestly replied.

"I understand, you could've been with your wife!"

Why all these snappy replies? Why did she bring that up? Was she trying to find out if we were still together? A smile twitched on my lips.

"No, we weren't together, like I said, we're getting divorced!"

The line was dead silent but I knew she was still listening.

"Gennie about what you said.."

"I'm pregnant for you!" She snapped again. Maybe the timing was wrong, maybe she was in one of those moods.

"Yeah about our child, I really want us to talk it over, but not on a phone call!"

There was another silence.

"I will book a flight and accommodation for you this weekend, so we can talk in New York? How about that?"

Silence again.

She cleared her voice. I was sure she was stalling for time.

"This weekend?" She asked sounding unsure.

"Yes, baby this weekend!" I said blandly.

"I'll just have to check my schedule, but I don't think I'll have time to travel by the weekend!" I heard her voice softened. She was calming down.

"Okay, how about I come over to Nigeria?"

Silence again...

"You've never been to Nigeria!"

"I now have reasons to, so? This weekend?"

Silence again...

"Okay! I'll see you by the weekend.." a wide devilish smile creased my face as I listened to her, "let me know when you're about booking a flight, I'll help you make hotel reservations!"

"That'll be so thoughtful of you Gennie!"

"It's important we talk and iron out some things!" 

"Okay, bye for now, I'll call you later in the week!"

"Just call me okay?"

"Okay! You take care of yourself! Bye!" I said.

"Sure will!"