Chapter 35: Short Connection

Start from the beginning

We ended up hugging for a long time. After a while, she pulled away to get a good look at me. "I'm so sorry for leaving you behind," she apologized. I shook my head. "It's okay," I told her. She wiped her tears away and gave me a small smile.

She took my bags and helped me into the mansion. The place was bigger than what I had expected. It was a single floor mansion. Once in the mansion, I saw a grand piano. "My home is your home," she told me.

It was kind of overwhelming to hear her say that. "Your brother was happy to hear that you were looking for us," she said and rolled me down a hallway. "Your brother is in that room," she pointed out to me.

She opened the doors and rolled me over to his room. He was on his laptop on his bed. He looked up. He looked very handsome but I could tell that he was very sick. "Kevin. Your sister is here," she told him. He gave me a big smile. "Hi little sister," he said.

Once I was close enough, I gave him a hug. We ended up talking a bit. I found out that he had a daughter who he named Jane. His wife, Kana was in the shower. They had met at work. She was a nurse. My brother was a doctor. It was love at first sight.

Jane was absolutely adorable. She was a couple weeks old.

"Jane. This is Aunty," he introduced her to me. I held her in my arms. She looked a lot like him. "Dad said that you are a great father to her," I told him. "Really?" he said. He seemed very surprised. I gave him a nod. "Dad will be here when it's time," I told him. He gave me a nod.

"What is it like...to die?" he asked me. I gave him a smile. "To me...it was painless," I told him. He looked a bit relieved.

"You know, dad used to skate," he told me. His words caught my attention. "Really?" Father never told me. He gave me a nod. "Of course....he was bad at it. He got as far as bronze in Japan Championship and the Grand Prix," he told me.

"Why did he stop?" I asked curiously. "Well...he wanted to study and become a business man. He wanted to get a stable job so that he wouldn't have to worry mom so much even though she was able to afford things for him," he explained to me.

{Wow...Dad thought ahead.}

"Well at least you gain the gene. I tried to skate when Grandfather was still coaching. I quit into my Junior level," he told me. "I see." {I guess figure skating does run in the gene in some ways.} He gave me a smile. "I vowed to myself to never skate again. But, rather told me that I should continue to skate," I said. "You should. It's kind of like a family legacy," he told me. I gave him a nod.

Kevin pulled me into a hug. "Don't worry too much sis. Those people will realize how much you do and what they did wrong to accuse you," he assured me. I just gave him a nod.

It was nice to have family who could listen to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over the next few weeks, he and I spent a lot of time together. Apparently, the mansion had a gym so I was able to do my physical therapy. I would give Kevin and Kana a break from babysitting. I really didn't mind. I wanted to spend time with Jane.

I learned that Kevin and mother were great singers. We liked to sing R&B. Also, mother had an incurable cancer. She was told that she had a couple months left. I had no idea. Father never told me. I was losing family all over again. I tried to stay strong and help out.