Training

Staring at the broken pieces of my alarm clock with a smirk, I was slightly surprised to hear a knock at my door. I would've checked the time, but my alarm wouldn't stop screaming in my ear for half an hour, so that option was out of the window.

Forgetting I was wearing nothing but my checkered boxers and stay safe shirt, I opened the door, seeing two men I'd never seen before, standing in front of me. One had a smile on his face, strange bangs on either side of his forehead that looked like chicken wings, while the other had eyebrows that took up half of his forehead. The two men had the same uniform as every other soldier I'd come across, wearing a red turtleneck underneath.

"Are you Thomas Rigewill?"

The smiling man spoke in a cheery voice, slightly creeping me out, though I responded.

"Yes..?"

The chicken wing guy smiled brighter, the other man's face never changing from a stern expression.

"Great! I'm Patryk, and this is my associate, Paul! We'll be the ones training you for the next week!"

My eyes lit up as I remembered Tord telling me about the training, as well as his most trusted soldiers. These two had to be them.

"We waited for you to arrive at the training grounds for about twenty minutes, but you didn't show up."

"I guess now we see why."

Paul cut into Patryk's sentence, looking me over from head to toe with a displeased expression. They could probably tell that I'd basically just woken up. It made me look down a bit in shame.

"S-orry I didn't make it on time. I forgot all about why my alarm went off in the first place. It's just such a sudden change, you know?"

Patryk nodded with a soft smile. He seemed to be much more understanding than the other guy.

"It's absolutely fine, Thomas! You're not the first person to brutally throw your clock against the wall and scream at it."

My eyes went white, realizing how these two must've heard my tantrum through the door. Paul smirked, making me glare slightly at him. Patryk simply giggled, ending it with a sigh.

"Oh hush, it's quite alright. When we adopted Tord, we had to get used to waking up early in the morning to stop him from crying."

That sentence made me freeze, my mind racing to figure out what Patryk meant. Of course, it was obvious. It should've been obvious from the start.

"Wait, wait. Are you guys Tord's parents?"

Paul rolled his eyes, his regular scowl returning to his face.

"No, we're just creeps who broke into his bedroom every morning when he was a kid."

My glare burned through his head, his scowl only growing more intense.

"Yes, we're the men who raised the fine Red Leader. Don't underestimate us. We had to deal with teenage Tord, so we can handle anything."

That line made me snort a little. Just thinking about that brought back memories of Tord's edgy phase, the one we both went through together. He settled for dying his hair dark, while I only wore shirts with skulls on them for months. Good times.

"Anyway, now that the formalities are done with, get your ass in the shower and be ready for training in 10 minutes. If not, we'll come in and pull you to the training grounds ourselves."

There was a silence after Patryk spoke, followed by me yelling.

"WHAT?! 10 MINUTES? Please tell me you're joking!"