Worried

None of this was new to me. 

Waking up alone in a hotel, a glass of water and aspirin on my nightstand. At least Jackson, or whatever his name was, was a gentleman. 

Next to the water, stood a small card. I carefully picked it up, taking the aspirin with a sip of water before reading what it said.

'Hey, Tom!
Just wanted to tell you that I had a great night!
You were amazing~
If you ever want to get together again, here's my number!
~Jason'

He wrote his phone number down under the note, a small heart drawn next to it. Although my memory of last night wasn't the best, I remember being barely satisfied by this guy. But then again, who knows? Maybe he was just drunk as fuck and didn't know how to go faster. It was anyone's guess, at least I thought so.

Taking a shower and getting dressed, I cleaned the room up a bit, slipping the note into my pocket, before eventually leaving the hotel. Thankfully, we didn't choose a hotel too far from my house, so I was able to walk there within half an hour. 

The sun blaring down, cars honking loudly on the streets around me, my headache was just getting worse by the second. I practically ran inside the house as soon as it was in view.

Once I closed the door, I let myself relax for a few seconds, chuckling at how quiet the house was. That was, of course, until I turned around, seeing Edd standing in the living room with his arms crossed. He held a scowl on his face, eyes narrowed and posture intimidating. I was screwed.

"Thomas Rigewill. Sit down right now."

Though his words alone weren't terrifying, his tone of voice made me sit in the armchair in a heartbeat. Hearing him let out a forceful sigh, Edd looked down at me. I could feel my body sinking into the seat as he did so.

"Where the hell were you last night?!"

Before I could speak, Edd cut me off.

"And while we're on the subject, where were you Wednesday night!? Or Sunday? Or the whole of last Friday?!"

A slight cringe tugged at my face, those were the nights I left to go out to a bar to get wasted.

Friday was honestly spent with this guy who kept begging for another round, so I just stayed with him all day while we fucked my depression away.

"Listen, Edd. I know I haven't been around that much, but I'm not going to stop going out some nights. I've been on edge for a long time, and going to a bar calms my nerves. So can you please just understan-"

"So that's what you've been doing, huh? Going out to get drunk every night!? Keeping me worried while you go out there and waste our hard earned cash?! In case you haven't noticed, this place is falling apart! Matt keeps asking where you are at dinner, and I'm running out of things to tell him! Tord used to help pay for rent, but when he left, it's been a lot harder to keep up with it! We can hardly pay for a home, Tom! And instead of helping, YOU JUST FEED YOUR GODDAMN ALCOHOL PROBLEM!"

Everything was silent after Edd's outburst. He was right, it's been tough to get by around here, especially since the Commie took half the rent with him. 

A few minutes passed, it didn't feel right to speak up to my friend. He sighed sharply, calming down from his lecture, before finally cutting through the silence.

"Staring tomorrow, you're looking for a job. No more going out at night, no more drinking at the bar. You need to help us too, Tom. Not just yourself."

With that, Edd walked out of the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts. A feeling of guilt crawled its way into my heart, my face sinking into my hands as I stayed put on the seat. I didn't know how much time had passed before Matt showed up, walking into the living room and giving me a cheerful smile and wave.