Present

"It's sad that we're doing this again, huh? First Tord, now you."

Matt's words hurt, almost as much as the tears built up in his eyes. Yet somehow, he smiled cheerfully, his cheeks rosy and teeth showing through his parted lips. 

His arms snaked around me, mine doing the same as a small sob left his mouth. I ran soft, soothing circles into his back, feeling a few, light tears staining my hoodie. His, too. Edd ran out of the house, carrying a present the size of a shoe box. 

He had gone back inside before I would leave, wanting to give me something as a farewell gift, much like with Tord. Hearing a soft cheer, we turned to see Edd running towards us, the present on the ground for safety. 

Before I knew it, I was knocked to the ground, Edd and Matt on top of me, giving me the biggest and warmest hug I'd ever received. Giggles filled our ears, all three of us laughing together, hugging each other in a clump of limbs and smiles. 

After a few minutes, the laughter died down, the three of us enjoying the hug with warm smiles. Standing upright once again, tears wiped away by our sleeves, all three of us took a moment to smile at each other once again. 

"We'll keep in touch! A-nd I'll always remember to send something on your birthdays!"

A few soft chuckles left their lips, they gave me one last, warm hug, me melting into the touch. They really are irreplaceable. My childhood friends, always there for me when I needed them to be. All in all, they helped me grow as a person, being the people I would count on to support me.

Even if that hadn't happened for a year, they were always there for me in the past. Those memories will never leave my mind.

"Ooh, Tom! Matt and I put a little something together for you!"

Edd picked up the box from the ground, handing it to me while Matt squealed. My eyes lifted happily, smile widening even more at the shimmering, blue wrapping paper, decorated in tiny stars and paw prints. They were probably left by Ringo, a little reminder of the small feline that somehow managed to sneak into my room and cuddle with me from time to time. I'd miss her, too.

"Thank you so much..."

More tears welled up in my eyes, taking the box from my friend's hands. I prepared to open it, though Edd and Matt placed their hands on top of mine, gaining my attention. Their faces were solemn, lips curled up to a gentle smile, stopping me from going any further.

"Open it when you're missing us, Tom."

My eyes blurry from tears, I gave a small nod, smile still wide, yet faltering with every second. Nothing had ever made my heart feel so pressed before, not even when Tord left. This was different, yet it was right. 

"I gu-ess I should open it now, then. I miss you al-ready!"

We all shared a soft chuckle, the three of us having puffy eyes from crying. Letting out a sigh, my chest started feeling less tight. 

They understood. 

They knew why I was going. Maybe not the full story, but they knew the most important part of the it.I needed to follow my heart, and my heart was leading me to follow Tord. 

I didn't know what would be waiting for me when I got in the car, windows tinted to hide the man sitting inside, probably watching us with a sad smile. Tord was waiting for me, I knew his lips were quivering as he looked at us. 

But, I understood why he couldn't come out and say hello.
Too many questions, too much to explain, it wouldn't work.

"I love you guys."