XXXVII

The triplets have made a new friend. They've been running in circles across the open space for hours with the small girl I met the other day. The rest of us have been sitting on the floor trying to form a plan to help the pack short and long term.

Chris wants them to understand the many risks of staying pack of Rogue's without the protection of a real Alpha and a safe place to live that includes warmth, food and clean water. They're currently an easy target to any Hunters wandering through town. They do get what we're saying but don't have anyone to follow, until we can find an Alpha for them, they're not going anywhere.

"What about Zoe?" My eyebrow shoots up to my hairline at Oliver's awful suggestion. However, they're all seriously considering it. "Dinnie mek 'at gizz. It dis mek seense, Zo. Thay cleerly lek ye, an' trow ye."

"It's a complicated concept. One, there isn't enough space for them to stay, the land around us just isn't big enough. Two, a lot of Humans walk by, it will put them at risk."

"This is you, Zo. I bet you already have a plan." My eyebrows change position, knitting together in an attempt to ignore the obvious fact from Ant's mouth. "Well... I could expand the private property signs and label it a nature preserve which would allow them to roam in Wolf form without surprising anyone. I could speak to the government about becoming their Alpha, they'd allow it to reduce Rogue's and since I can provide for them without any issues. So theoretically, yes. Despite that, there's still a lot of factors to consider."

"Zoe, you're already attached to them and won't leave willingly without them." Chris taps my shoulder, smiling. "I'll talk to Lex, and the kids. Although, I doubt the terrors want to leave their new buddy." We peer over to the three rolling around with the tiny lass. "Then it is settled. You'll talk to them and if they agree, they're going with you."

Since they're certain of this plan, I decide that it is time to head back to the house. Wiping the mud off of my bleached jeans, I move over to my nutty children. The two playful loons stop in the middle of pinning their friend in a cute battle. "It's time to go." They start whining, their little brother trotting to my side. "You can play again later." Knowing that I keep to my promises, they lick her snout before skipping to my right.

I let them hop along in their Wolf forms, not seeing a reason for them to change back since they're happy. Halfway to the house, something makes me stop. It never takes them long to notice my change in moods. Ame and Ash paw at my ankles while Dyl crouches to the ground.

"I need you to go to the house on your own. Ame, you know the way best, lead the way. If you get lost, climb into a tree and stay there until I find you. No detours, go on." I rub their heads, kiss their cheeks and send them on their way. I trust Ame to find the way, she's always mapping routes in her head. Ash will keep them safe, he's good at sensing danger. Dyl is good with nature, learning to track and be in tune with it in all circumstances which will help them find a secure place to stay if something happens.

Once they are out of sight, I start stripping off my clothing, folding and hiding them in a tree branch to collect later. Swiftly changing form, I press my nose to the floor, sifting through the many smells until the one that caught my attention appears.

I've learnt every resident Wolf and Human's scents, making it obvious when something is out of place. Most odours around here are either woodsy or like cheap perfume. I'm surrounded by nature at home, I know the aroma of a forest. This one stands out like a sore thumb. It's fallen rain mixed with paper and youth. It's also similar to two Wolves I know, the genetic whiff is the same.

Poking my muzzle in the air, I tail the moving animal. The only thing I'm getting from them is that they are very skilled at finding their way around the trees. They're leading me out of town and into unclaimed land between the nearby town and ours.