VII

As per usual, I'm interrupted from my bleak darkness by the sudden blaring of random music from the radio. I don't keep up with modern songs since my general favourite bands are things such as FFDP or Metallica - Father's tastes rubbed off on me in childhood.

Rolling out from under the sheets, I stumble over to the device producing horrific sounds by some autotuned 'musician'. Honestly, I would have been kicked off of a music course for complaining about the awful tragedies current singers are creating. The amount of rants I've been on to The Squad when they try getting me to listen to the radio; it appears to be one of their favourite pastimes.

In an attempt to turn it off, I smack my hand down onto the off button only for it to smash under the minimal force. The loud cracking noises echo from wall to wall, slipping underneath the slot below the door. I can't help but cringe, hoping no one else heard it.

Taking my phone off of the charger besides the now destroyed alarm, I flick through the messages asking if I am in today. Typing out a quick response to each, I put it back down to gather my supplies for a morning shower. The amount of sweat still tainting my skin from last night has only thickened through my sleep.

With clothes and a towel under my arm, I creep down the corridor in the hopes Mother is still asleep. Typically when she's at home, she doesn't crawl out of bed until lunch time due to staying up all hours to get extra work done. Dad is also an early bird, so he's probably already downstairs and getting stuff done while she catches up on all of the rest she's missed out on.

This week, I've probably taken a total of thirty showers. Ever since getting back, I can't get rid of the dirty feeling that's always creeping along my spine. My OCD used to be horrendous when growing up, I had rules that ruined my life. I couldn't leave the house without doing the same routine every day. If I messed up or got distracted, I would have to start all over again. It was the reason I was always late to school or gatherings.

I ended up getting medication and counselling, both of which I no longer need since it is now manageable. I created a morning routine a few years back that I always follow, but if plans change then I have to push myself to accept it and remind myself that everything is alright.

It only takes me about fifteen minutes to shower. I managed to get my speedy shower skill up a few years back; shampoo and conditioning as well as exfoliating and washing my body. One of my best developments. Considering the thickness and length of my hair, I'm still surprised I can get it taken care of in such a short amount of time.

It only takes ten more minutes to get dressed and style my hair, giving me plenty of time to eat breakfast. I take a final look in the mirror, deciding I look pretty good. I never bother with makeup, I personally see it as a way to conform to society's ideals, though I understand that isn't the case for everyone. My friends see it as enhancing their favourite features.

I've always stood out in a crowd with my style, but since starting Sixth Form, it has only drawn more attention to me. Our uniform is rather laid back, we have a dress code that has certain requirements but they still want us to express ourselves. As long as we are in trousers or a skirt with a shirt and tie, we can do what we want.

When I first started, I got called into the office a lot for my clothing choices. The issue was soon dropped when they realised all of my clothes meet their regulations. Plus they seem to give me special treatment for my parents and grades - which often pisses me off.

Today's choice is casually flattering with faux leather skinnies, a dragon chain belt hanging from the loops. Being careful not to prick myself, I secure some safety pins to the cuffs of my black blouse that I've rolled to stay above my elbow. Since it doesn't have to sit properly until I get to class, I let my tie stay around my neck with a lot of slack.