XVIII

The week passed by surprisingly quickly with how many emotions were involved which typically makes things drag on. The group has spent most of their spare time here, involving a lot of staying over in a spare room. The conclusion of this is: I need to invest in soundproof technology. Our friendship is seemingly at the point where no one cares about one of the other's hearing each other's sex life. Though we wouldn't care anyway, it would be nice to be able to sleep serenely at night without being kept awake by thumping headboards and somewhat muffled noises.

We've also reached the peak level of unhealthy eating. The takeaway shops nearby have had quite an increase in profits because of us and our humongous appetites plus generosity when it comes to tips. Feeding eight famished adolescent werewolves for a week costs the same as a black market kidney from Romania. Everyone has been paying into the price, myself covering at least fifty percent but I don't mind spoiling them for a week. We've gotten to the point where we're demolishing three meals each plus desert which can cost over one hundred per person depending on what we fancy. Though we do share with one another if someone is curious about our meal.

They're all probably pulling their hair out in class about now since they've been covering mocks this week. I however am bored senseless in an examination room with ten others. I've been waiting for time to pass by dancing along to the music in my head. I finished at least half an hour ago. I am constantly reminded to read over my answers but there are only so many times you can do that until your mind caves in from the repetitive motion.

I'm confident I've passed with flying colours. The test was one of the easiest I've ever seen, probably due to the Board of Education lowering the Economics grades since most failed last year.

"Time is up. Please put down your pens." I don't need to be asked twice; I'll fling the thing across the room if they want. "We will collect your papers a row at a time. Remain in silence until you are outside of the room." Mrs Walt clearly voices while her assistants scuttle about trying to get all of the exams in.

I am desperate to get home since I don't have to stick around per Mr Creighton's allowance. The joys of being a 'Smith', I'm always at the back and one of the last to be dismissed. It's even worse when the other students you are with are at the beginning of the alphabet.

Whilst waiting for the room to be emptied, my mind floats off to its own place by catching a glimpse into someone else's distress. Not that I can see them, I can still feel every emotion currently flooding through their body.

Their mind is clouded with darkness, filled to the brim with self-hatred and disgust with who they are. The level of loathing and anger shouldn't be stored in one heart, yet it is occurring almost right in front of me.

Whoever it is, they must have been shutting this down for years, denying themselves the right to hurt or show any sign of struggle. My heart gives out for them. They feel so alone despite being surrounded by love. I can tell that they're not alone, just feeling hopeless with no self-esteem.

"Miss Smith, are you alright?" Miss Walker leans down from in front of me, tapping my hand with her fingers while whispering as to not disrupt the silent room. "I need to go. I don't feel good."

"Is it about your parents?" The instant concern slaps me across the face. "Yes. I need to get out of here." A little white lie never hurt anyone. She nods, gesturing for me to leave before my turn. She takes it upon herself to talk to Mrs Walt about the matter.

Not wanting to waste time, I rush to my feet and collect my bag from the side of the room. I basically run out of the double doors, remaining careful to not let them slam shut and disrupt the kid with extra time.

Following the pull of my heart strings, I seek out the one feeling like this, no one should be alone when experiencing this sensation. Moving at hyper speed behind the chord connecting my soul to the child, I dart through the corridors.