XXXVI

Roxy is taking too long to answer the door. If it's just one of the guy's, she should be back with them by now. Therefore, I get up to check. There's anger and tension flaring from the bottom of the stairs, and it is hers. Roxy isn't easily pissed off, I've only known two people to rile her up like this.

"Zoe!" What is Aaron doing here? I pass Ame to Rosie, hopping down the steps to the hallway. "Don't you dare ask to see her!" The rest are all following behind. Rosie and Holly are shaking furiously just as much as Rox.

"It's alright, let him in." I squeeze her shoulder, guiding her out of the way. "Why are you letting him in?" Rosie prowls forward, her eyes flashing enough to make him flinch away. "Relax. I spoke to him, he's forgiven." I motion for him to come in. "Go through to the kitchen, I'll be with you in a minute."

She does as he's told, leaving me to deal with the growling women. Lex is the only calm one, I explained everything to her last night. She still doesn't trust him, though she knows to trust me and my judgment.

"Have you forgotten what he did? Why would you forgive him?" Ro hisses. "Don't speak to me like that, Kitty. Of course I haven't forgotten, I'm reminded every day. I moved on and past it. He asked to apologise and explain which I allowed. I understand everything now, and though I can't completely forgive him, I don't blame him. He took something away from me but gave me three incredible baby's too. He agreed they aren't his and that we wouldn't have worked together, he is trying to move on with his life too. Now please excuse me." They are stunned, moving out of my way.

"Sorry for coming here, I know I shouldn't have." He's leaning against the counter, scratching at his hands. "Don't worry about them. Just tell me why you're here." I walk around him, getting us both a glass of water. "I didn't know where else to go. No one in the pack or the town will talk to me."

"Aaron, what's wrong?" I take a sip of the cold liquid. "My parents found my meds and took them away saying that they won't allow me to do drugs, as though they care. I tried to explain why I had them but they said that 'it's all a lie' and 'mental health problems aren't real'. I can't get them back and I'm scared what's going to happen because of it." I smash my drink against the worktop, struggling to remain calm.

"Everything alright, Shortie?" Lex enters through the side door, her hand going to my waist. "I'm just angry. Not at Aaron though." Better to make sure she's aware of where my feelings are stemming from.

"It's nice to meet you." His hand reaches across the counter. She stares for a moment before taking it. "My name is Alexis." He nods, keeping his eyes down.

"Aaron, you're taking me to your parents place and I'll sort this out if they won't listen to you. Love, can you watch the kids for an hour?"

"Of course." She kisses my cheek and walks out. "She knows I don't want to steal you, right?" He genuinely looks afraid of her. "Don't worry, she's generally possessive." I chuckle.

"Did you walk or drive?" I ask while putting on my jacket and boots. "Walk." I nod back to him, collecting my keys to lead him to the car.

He directs me into the centre of town and into a side street with small houses down. They're all council property and shown by the appearance of ratty roofs and gardens, the walls even seem to be falling down. Maybe I should start a side company for cheap housing, none of these feel safe to be living in.

"This one." He points and I pull over right outside. I climb out, following behind me. "They're both very defensive and opinionated, so I'm sorry if they say anything." He really is quite different than when I left. I don't think I ever saw his genuine personality, mainly his split personalities which I guess ran his life how they wanted.