XXXI

Blissful dreams swarm my mind, beautiful flashes of peaceful moments that create calming images to help me rest after everything. However, these moments are only going to become less frequent once again as displayed by the heart wrenching squeals of my new baby. I'm dragged out of the sweet land of dreams and back to reality where I've just given birth to three gorgeous pups.

Opening my eyes, I shuffle up against the headboard. I'm happily prepared to deal with the newborns, yet the image makes me want to wait a little while. Lex has the two screaming kiddos in either arm, bouncing them gently to soothe their tears as much as possible. She seems to be in her element. I admittedly didn't expect her to be so skilled with babies.

"Managing?" My groggy, newly awoken voice turns her around. Her smile grows upon seeing me finally awake, probably seeming a lot healthier than when we got here. "They're hungry, and there isn't much I can do for them considering you decided to breastfeed." She grumbles, continuing to rock the darling's.

Reaching my arms out, she steps closer and hands me one at a time. They both latch on easily, humming happily as their tiny stomachs start to fill. "I was just about to say that we should get them fed." Dr Willard leans against the door frame, grinning at the sight of us. I like to think that we look like a happy family, we are.

While the little ones soothe their munchies, she performs a swift examination over the four of us, telling Lex that she can get the two of us food and drinks from the small kitchen across the hall. She then exits to open the centre for the day. We're in the back area where we won't be disturbed.

Hopefully, we will be able to leave this afternoon, as long as no problems arise. I'm desperate for a shower, I have no idea what fluids I'm still covered in. The triplets are in healthy states, two came out at nine pounds, and my little stubborn pup is seven. I was already aware that when carrying multiple babies, it is likely they are smaller in order to share the space. That is apparently different for Wolves. Our body can expand further and they grow quicker in the early stages, leaving them at regular sizes when born - lucky me.

Lex reaches into the other cot, lifting out the tiny boy while the others begin to doze off. I've already gathered that the first boy isn't as quiet as he originally seemed and that the second boy is actually the silent one. He's wide awake, opening his mouth to be fed but isn't making a sound.

"I'll trade. Pass me her since she's already pulled away, and I'll hand you this Prince." With a bit of cautious movement, we swap the two small things around. It's useful that Lex is larger built than me, I can barely hold one while she balances two with ease. She restarts bouncing the baby girl to resettle her after being passed around. It only takes a minute before she is laid down.

"What do you think for names?" I ask, looking up at her as the two boy's eat away. "It isn't really my choice." Tapping her leg with my foot, I nod to the side of me. She positions herself and I lean into her arms. "That firework sensation, you know what it means, right?" Her emotions always tell me more than she does. "Lex, I can feel you." She goes to speak then second guesses herself.

"You're scared about what it will entail for us both, but there's no need to. After several months of being with you, I wouldn't want anyone else. You're caring and thoughtful. You always try to make me happy without thinking about yourself. You're funny and an incredible cook which I am not. You accept my cuddly nature and never push me away." I lift her hand into mine. "I'm not going anywhere, Lex. If you feel the same, please tell me because I want to be with you. In my mind, they're your children as well as mine. You adore them, I can see that. You're my Mate, please trust that I love you."

"You love me?" Her mouth gawks, making me giggle and nod. A lightbulb goes off behind her eyes. She doesn't waste time in putting the pups back in their respective beds, I make a mental note to feed them again in a couple of hours.