III

Even in the depths of my unconscious, I can hear the tedious noise of some form of electronic device. It's creating some incessant beeping that has my ears ringing, it's almost as annoying as an alarm clock. It's painful enough to be woken up when in a pleasant slumber, never mind being awoken by some torture machine.

Despite the constant reverberations, there are other elements that are managing to make this experience worse. Wherever I am, it possesses this intense stench of bleach and detergent, the strength of it makes me feel like a parasite being targeted by industrial chemicals. The odour has my head pounding like a bass drum in a rock band, the undertones are nauseating.

In an attempt to sit up, I shuffle around a little on what I am assuming is a bed from the sound of springs and the slightly soft padding beneath my butt. However, the small twists of my body cause a tsunami of pain to wash over me, so I release a large grunt in recognition of this agony. I'm just going to power through, all of my blood has settled in my arse and back and I now have pins and needles coating the majority of my body.

With the screeching of monitors and bedding, I have an idea of where I am - somewhere I don't want to be. The fact that my cornea's are also being fried beneath their protective sheet only adds to the conclusion. However, the only way to be certain is to actually open my eyes despite the weight within the lids.

Baby steps. One eye before the other. I have a feeling my face resembles that of a toad, probably the least attractive I've ever looked. Due to the extreme levels of light being produced, the bulbs are definitely clinical with the high wattage.

Not only that, being attached to several machines with white and grey wires that intrude through layers of my skin only clarify my nightmare. Two IV's feels like too many. One is pumping blood back into my body, while the other is supplying me with fluids - I may have been dehydrated.

Hospitals are my worst fear. Something about all of the disease and death makes me want to shrivel up and die. I can't remember why I'm even here. It is very unlikely that I brought myself here, I'd rather eat cement than admit myself to medical care. Mum and Dad are still away for business. And I'm pretty sure none of the Squad were over, so it couldn't have been them.

All I can recall is going out to get firewood because our heater blew up in my face. No other images come up, but the emotions are rather intensely embedded in my mind. I'd been petrified of something. My eyebrows dip at the memory. Something was making me cold, like life was draining from me - probably blood loss. Nothing else jumps out.

Glancing around, I don't think it's possible for me to sneak out of the window without someone noticing. Since I don't know how to turn off the machines, they'd have a fit if I detached myself from them. Plus, if the number of bandages is anything to go off of, I'm not in good shape. Climbing down a building wall would only rupture something.

Maybe whatever is beneath the tape can tell me the rest of the story. But as my hand is reaching down to one of the plasters on my wrist, the sudden opening of the room's door makes me jump. It isn't thrown open, though the change in my solitude does take me by surprise.

Two familiar figures wander in before the door closes behind them automatically. They're too caught up in their debate to realise I'm awake and staring at them, fairly surprised too. To most, it may appear calm and collected, but to anyone who knows them you can see their fight is one-sided and confrontational.

The first voice is hesitantly shaking, filled with worry and confusion. However, there is determination and dominance. The second is strong, logical and backed up with knowledge. It doesn't take a genius to figure out which is which.

She's clutching to her disposable coffee cup as though it is a valuable jewel he is threatening to steal. If she isn't careful, she'll be the one needing medical attention for serious scorches when the cup snaps. He also has a hot beverage, more likely tea than coffee since it holds more caffeine.