XXVIII

Alexis has been with me for two weeks now. Her wounds finished healing a week back, and I somehow managed to convince her to stay until she figures out where she's going next. Admittedly, I really enjoy her rare company. She spends a lot of time in her room, only appearing when we're eating. It reminds me of boarding schools where you basically live with someone but see them as frequently as a stranger.

We have found ourselves in a routine, which is more than pleasing for me. In the morning, she's up first and is kind enough to make us breakfast. We'll sit and talk until we're both finished and go to do our own thing. I'll call her down for lunch and tea after preparing them. We'll often watch a film together before going to bed for the night, then it starts all over again.

Trudging down the stairs in my pyjamas, I catch sight of my reflection in the body length mirror sitting beside the front door. Just like every morning, I look like a Zombie. My eyes are dark from just waking up, my skin lifeless from hunger, my body limp from exhaustion.

Just as my foot lands on the wooden flooring, the doorbell starts ringing. "I'll get it." It's unlikely she knew I'm downstairs, I'm normally asleep for another hour but Ro rang me as a warning for their arrival.

Carter officially finished College yesterday, meaning they've all come up. We've been planning for a while, so I'm pretty excited to see them all. They're all staying here for a week, apart from Chris, Leah and the Kid's who are only staying until tomorrow afternoon since Lyra and Fawn still have classes.

The distinct screaming children make me scoff while one of the group goes bonkers on the doorbell. Laying my hand on the handle, I glance at Lex who's leaning against the kitchen archway in an attempt to stay back in case she needs to run away. She's likely going to wait for me to greet them before deciding if she'll be too uncomfortable.

"Alright! Calm down!" Yanking the door open, I'm instantly wrapped in too many arms to bother counting. Part of me wants to escape yet I am unable to, crouching is too painful now with the weight and bending over.

Between the waves of multiple emotions, I peek at the one's from the other side of the room. She's still relaxed though a little on edge at the massive group that's just barged into a place she's only just determined to be safe.

"Guys, you're crushing me." The complaint forces them all to jump away, cautious over the bulge hiding under my shirt. "You're so big!" Holly's hand attaches to my belly, waiting for a sign of life she isn't going to find with her palm.

"You can't feel a baby kick until at least sixteen weeks along." All eyes dart over to the owner of the voice, causing her to squirm under the attention. "She's right. You can hear their heartbeats though if you concentrate enough." They turn their stares back to me. "Go through to the living room and let me greet my lambs." Following my commands, they vanish while Leah hands me the tot. The other two wrap their arms around my sides, head's resting on my stomach and chest.

"Hey, Sweeties. Is everyone behaving?" I look down at the two, my fingers rubbing against Micah's neck, bringing a giggle out of him. One of the girls nods, the other's cheeks blanch. "What have you done, Fawn?" She shrugs.

"Lyra, head on into the living room too, I left your present on the table." She nods, skipping off to find the Panda eating bamboo teddy I got for her. "Come on." Hauling the boy further up my hip, I take her hand and guide her out to the garden. I rub Lex's shoulder on the way out as she continues to clean the dishes.

I take her past all of the trees to the lakeside. I perch on an old bench while she rolls up her jeans to kick ripples in the water. I bounce Micah on my lap while she runs around for a little while, letting the frustration in her head settle.