四十六

making my way through the thick foliage I finally got to an open meadow.

The last remnants of the summer flowers and green grass held on to their season not wanting to succumb to Falls decay.

The aroma was stronger and it wasn't till I was done admiring the beauty I realized Tanner was in the middle of the field sitting down.

I felt frozen in fear.

Seeing him again reminded me of the pain, it reminded me of being scared, it also granted me with an absurd amount of rage.

I walked forward snapping a twig and caught his attention.

We both stared at each other

I don't know what emotion I had on my face but his was calm. Almost like he expected me to be here.

He looked back at whatever was in his hands and went back to fiddling with it ignoring my presence.

I walked towards him and the closer I got the more clearly I was able to see what he was doing.

" Smoking huh ?" I asked.

I stood six feet in front of him not wanting to draw any closer then I had to.

He looked up at me, eyes bloodshot red.
" Why'd you drop the charges ?"

" Because I know why you lashed out on me. I know why my relationship with Laurence pisses you off so much."

He twirled the small blunt in his hand slowly.
" You don't know anything Hassan, you're just some privileged kid from New York that everyone likes."

" Maybe half of that's true, maybe everyone does like me but let's not confuse anything I have or earned with 'privilege'. I don't have to explain my life's story to you, I don't owe you that, nor do I want you to sympathize with me but trust me life hasn't been peaches and rainbows." I said.

" Didn't think there would be rainbows in the closet." He said holding a lighters flame to the blunt.

" Is that what you want to say to your mom ?" I fired back.

He inhaled then blew the smoke out in three rings.
" Hassan you know there's no one around here right ? Just you and me ?"

" Oh cut the edgy shit, we both know you're way to stoned to probably even get up right now let alone hurt me."

I actually didn't know what he was capable of right now. Usually his sarcasm and vindictive manic energy would just be more pestering than terrifying. He was calm, way more calmer than usual and he seemed to be observing me like how a predator stalks prey.