四十三

Bryan and I waited eagerly in the locker room as the team started to get changed.

The chatter of the crowd crept its way past the doors every time someone would come in.

The air was thick and the team was quiet.

It's when I realized they never got this far before. Scouts could be out their and the people who want to pursue basketball, a lot is on the line for them.

Tanner was still no where in sight and the game was going to begin soon.

" Hey how ya feelin ?" Bryan asked me.

He was blinking rapidly and twiddling his thumbs.

" I'm guessing better than you, are you okay ?"

" Man if we win we get immortalized in this school ! This zip code's legends !"

I forgot how much high school impacted people.

Around junior year I was already done with the idea of school. Ready to just get out into the world. For me school isn't necessarily hard but I just don't feel like it's something meant for me. Everything I want to pursue I don't even think I can get a majored degree for.

I want to be successful, but I don't think I personally need a higher education for it.

Kudos to the kids that want to strive for it though !

In the midst of my internal conversation Tanner walked into the locker room.

In that moment everyone disappeared, it was just me and him.

He looked at me smiled.

" Hey captain ! How's it going ?"

His voice was groggy and his eyes were low. A pungent odor wafting from him.

" Ready to win today ?" He asked.

I caught Bryan glaring at him furiously from the corner of my eye.

" What's your problem ?" Tanner said noticing Bryan.

" ...Nothin" Bryan said tucking his jersey into his shorts and walking away.

Tanner shrugged him off and averted his gaze back to me.

He leaned in closer and I clenched my fist as a warning.

He whispered
" Remember our deal, I make all the plays, you pass everything to me, and your secret doesn't escape us okay ?"

My breathing was shaky from pure rage.

Just then the coach let out a hardy 'alright' and we huddled around him.

" I just want to say how proud I am of you guys. For some it's your last year here, last chance to be a star and show these doubters what you're capable of. You guys are gunna go out there and get MY- I mean...OUR trophy AND MAKE SOME HIGHSCOOL HISTORY!"

The team exploded with cheers motivated by coach's short speech.

We all ran out into the gymnasium with the crowd roaring us on and cheerleaders l rattling their pom-poms while the band bursted with excitement.

" Remember, I'm the star today." Tanner whispered in my ear jogging along side me.

I shook him off and peered into the crowd.

In the middle of the bleachers I seen mom, dad and Bee clapping and smiling with a big poster of my name and jersey number.

I searched more and found Lawrence was standing in front of the bleachers cupping his hands in a circle letting out a harmonizing holler with the crowd.