17. The eyes never lie

Start from the beginning

"Good morni-" One of the employees starts to say but I run past him with Amelia behind me and almost throw him away.

We run out of the building and I quickly unlock the car. We both hop in and I press the gas pedal as hard as I can. I drive really fast and Amelia almost screams.

"If I die today, it is all your fault!"

"If I am late to the meeting, we will all be killed by my father!" I reply back, and press the gas pedal harder. I hear some honks towards me probably because I almost crashed into some cars, but we make it out alive.

We run toward the restaurant and I check the time. It is exactly 14:45. So it means I'm not late and thank Goodness. I see Mr. Jordan seated in one of the chairs around the table by the window, and walk towards him with Amelia hand-to-hand. I really need her support and comfort right now.

Mrs. Jordan notices me and gets up from his chair.

"Hello, Leonardo Jonathan McConnell, the son of Patrick McConnell. How are you?" He extends his hand toward me and I gently shake it.

"Hello, Mr. Jordan. I'm fine, thank you. But please, just Leonardo."

"And this beautiful lady is?" He asks, directing the question to Amelia.

"Hello sir. I'm Amelia, Leonardo's..." She stops mid-sentence and looks at me.

"She's my friend." I continue her sentence. Her eyes sparkle.

"Nice to meet you. Please sit." He gestures us. Amelia sits besides me and Mr. Jordan sits on the opposite side.

"So, how is your father?" He asks.

"Oh, he's perfectly fine. Busy with work, you know how he is when it comes to the company." I reply.

"Haven't seen him in a long time. I thought he was coming but then sent you instead. But I'm glad he did, because I have the opportunity to meet you face-to-face. So, I heard you got involved in McConnell's company lately. Why didn't you work there before?"

I think for a reply for some seconds. Of course I wasn't going to tell him what happened that made me take this decision. "Well, business world wasn't really my thing. But now, I am going to help my father with the company from now on, because it needs a devisee." I tell him.

"That's great. Your father should be really proud of you."

Yeah, he should but he's not.

Amelia looks like she noticed my hard expression and gently squeezes my hand from under the table. I look at her and she smiles. How can she make me feel good with just a smile?

"So, I guess now that you run the company, you have plans on getting married also?" Mr. Jordan asks suddenly, and I almost choke on my saliva.

"Marriage? Oh no, it is far away from my plans." I tell him, but he just shakes his head.

"Come on, your father has told me that you and Jennifer, the daughter of Mr. Bernardo Jerry, one of our partners will be your wife in the future. Are you engaged with her?"

Dad and his pride.

"No, sir."

Mr. Jerry frowns. "Okay Leonardo. But I'm telling you, you shouldn't let that girl Jennifer go. She is smart, comes from a rich family, is well educated, and a real young lady. She suits you. And of course you are going to marry a woman like her. You aren't going to marry a receptionist, or a housekeeper are you?" He laughs, but Amelia's expression changes. She clenches her fist under the table.