Chapter: 37

After calling the nursery to check on Noel, I put down the phone feeling relaxed that he has been still sleeping. Since I have smashed my mobile, I am relying on my office phone for now.

For months Nathan and I had been discussing to establish an in-office nursery for the employees as now we can understand how it must be difficult for parents to leave their children at home. When we shared our idea with our employees, it was welcomed so without any delay we started working on it. So finally, one month back the nursery was ready.

So now not only us, even other employees can bring children to work. Honestly, I regret not having this idea earlier, because I have noticed how much our workers are happy with it. Especially, it is a big relief for single parents and new moms.

While for us, it has become even more convenient to bring Noel to the office. We don't have to worry about him as such when we both are busy with our work. Although, I and Nathan keep checking on him as he becomes grumpy if stays away from us for a longer period of time. He will be fine if anyone from the family is with him, otherwise, he needs us to be around him.

The sound of light knocking on the door, makes me pause my work as an office boy enters the room carrying a parcel.

"You have got a parcel." He places the box in front of me, then asks, "Do you need anything, coffee or something?"

"No, thank you, Simon." I politely smile at him, then giving a slight nod he leaves.

I look at the parcel to search for the name of the sender but find none. Carefully, I remove the brown paper wrapping from around it and open the box to find a mobile in it... actually two mobiles in it.

Biting the inside of my cheeks I try to hold my laugh as I read the notes attached to both mobiles.

One note says "For my wife" while the other one says, "For Noel's Mama."

The reason why I find this so funny is that the note which says for Noel's mama is attached to a toy phone.

Noel has a habit of throwing Nathan's phone as he gets irritated when Nathan tries to take his phone from Noel's hand. So, we bought a toy phone for him which he doesn't like at all and keeps on throwing it in anger when he doesn't get his hand on real mobile.

"Do I have to tell you which mobile is for which purpose?" Nathan walks inside as usual without bothering to ask for permission and takes a seat in front of the table.

"This for regular use." He taps at the real phone, "And this is for when you are in Noel's angry mode." He waves the toy phone in front of my face with a light chuckle.

I try to give him an unimpressed look, but the betraying smile on my lips is not helping me.

"There is no as such rule, that you can't smile when you are mad at someone." Raising his eyebrows, he nods his head, "So, I guess, you can smile." He shrugs while trying to look nonchalant.

"If it will make you feel better than I will just close my eyes, so you can smile and I will not know that you are smiling." He closes his eyes and leans back in the chair.

Now it is extremely difficult to hold my smile which soon turns in to soft laughter.

Nathan's lips curve into a smile as he opens his eyes.

"I asked you to smile and you are laughing so does it mean that you still too mad at me or now you are slightly mad at me?" He arches an eyebrow.

My laugh dies making me release a deep breath.

"Nathan, I don't know." Leaning on my elbows, I hold my head in hands, "I just don't know." I sigh.

"You said things which really hurt me." I link my fingers together on the back of my neck, "It is just not easy to behave normally pretending as if those words were never been said."