Chapter: 17

I postponed my dinner plan with Hannah because I don't feel like going. After this long tiring day, I just want to go home and maybe have some homemade meal.

Moreover, this headache is making me dizzy. Leaning my head against the cab window, I close my eyes as I am on my way to pick up Noel from Alice and Richard's house.

Even while feeling low and tired, I can't stop myself from smiling as I remember the way Noel surprised me by crawling. He looked extremely adorable and clueless like he doesn't know what he is doing but even then he is enjoying it.

Soon he will not be a baby anymore.

"You are not looking good," Alice says as she opens the door while looking at me with worry, "I don't think you should go home by yourself, I will ask the driver to drop you home then tomorrow I will send your car."

"Nothing to worry about, I am just tired that's all." I smile at her reassuringly as we walk into the house.

"Did he crawl today?" I ask feeling excited as Richard comes carrying Noel who is knocked out in his arms.

"Are you talking about Richard?" She smiles playfully, "Yeah, he crawled all around the house."

"Don't make fun of me, I was teaching him to crawl." Richard glares at her lightheartedly.

I laugh along with Alice as I notice blankets sprawled on the floors of the living room.

Noel's crawling practice area.

"I think this stubborn child will only crawl when his mom is around." Alice fondly looks at Noel.

After spending some time with them, I drive back home feeling a bit better.

I don't know what talk I and Nathan are going to have when I will reach home. Whatever it is, I am not looking forward to it.

By the time I unlock the door Noel is up and squirming in my arms demanding to be put down.

"Patience child," I sternly say while carrying him inside as he starts whimpering.

When I close the door, I find Nathan's travel bag near the door as if he has dropped it there when he got back home.

Biting my lip, I inhale a deep breath feeling tension rising inside me. Frankly speaking, it is not just about forgetting my birthday it is about priorities.

Work is important but the family can't take a backseat. He needs to understand this, otherwise, he will only have regret when he will look back.

My heart clenches when I watch him sitting in the living room with his head in his hands, still in his work clothes, in a disheveled form. A bouquet of roses lying near his feet beside him.

I just want to walk into his arms, to be surrounded in his comforting warmth, however, the anger in me is stopping me from doing so.

I lost my internal battle to my anger as this feeling is consuming my senses.

Well, this and hunger.

Noel let out a loud wail seeming to be angry when I don't let him go. Nathan's head snaps up as if he has just realized he is not alone, giving me a view of his troubled eyes.

His eyes lock with mine, a silent pleading passes through his gaze. Sighing, I walk toward the playmat which is in the living room and put down Noel on it. His cries instantly cease as horse hanging above his playmat gets his undivided attention.

Without saying anything to Nathan I walk past him towards the kitchen, as he steps toward me trying to say something but then shuts his mouth.

Opening the fridge I look for some ingredients with which I make something real quick, but I feel bile rising in my throat when the smell of cake reaches my nose. Immediately, I take it from the fridge and throw it in the bin, all while holding my breath.