Chapter: 10

Natalie's POV

"Fuck!" I half-yelled at Miles and try to release his iron grip on my hand. "You are just meeting your father, you are not delivering a baby that you are crushing my hand."

Yesterday, Miles texted his father to let him know that he is ready to meet him. His father quickly responded and asked Miles to meet him at the cafe near his old house.

So now we both are sitting in the car, in front of the cafe, as Miles needs some time to gather himself before facing his father.

"I don't think I want to see him, Natalie." He sighs and loosens his grip on my hand, for which I am really grateful, as apprehension laces his words.

"Miles you know, I am not good at this comforting talk and all, that is Abby's department." I raise my eyebrows at him, "But all I can say is that he is your father, obviously the first few minutes will be awkward as you both will try to make small talk or maybe you will look at anyone but each other then eventually you will start talking."

"The worst outcome of this meeting might be you slamming the table with your fists in anger or you harshly pushing the chair that it will fall, and walking out of the cafe with a fuming expression and a vow never to meet that man again." I shrug, listening to this his lips curves into a small smile.

"However, something good can also come out of this meeting. Like you, walking out of the cafe without any burden on your chest and with a slight hope to meet the person who is your father again but with no hatred and anxiousness." This time I squeeze his hand.

Knowing Miles, it depresses him when he hates someone. He is the kind of person for whom hating someone is not easy. His anger is like boiling water... it boils till the point at it spills but then it cools down.

Even when he is angry with someone he is careful of his words. Just because even in his anger he does not want to say something extremely hurtful to anyone that inflicts pain on their heart.

He is about to say anything but suddenly he swallows hard when his eyes catch something.

Turning to look in the direction of his sight, I also notice why his expression has changed.

Walking inside the cafe is a person who looks older version of Miles with grey sideburns. He is wearing simple khaki pants and a blue button-down shirt as his specs covering his eyes.

When I turn to look at Miles, he is sitting completely still as his eyes are fixed on his father who is not aware of his son's gaze.

There is a strain in Miles's jaws as his grip on my hand shifting. Sometimes he clenches it tightly and the very next moment he loosens only to hold it tightly again.

I watch him as he closes his eyes for a moment and takes a deep breath preparing himself to walk out of the car to meet his father.

He glances at me, vulnerability clear in his eyes, and he gives me a small nod silently telling me he is ready to meet him.

Holding his hand, I pull him in a hug trying to provide him some comfort.

"It is going to be fine." Turning my head slightly to his neck I place a small kiss while I rub his back gently. "I will be there with you and any moment if you want to get out of there, then just say the word I will drag your ass out of this place."

He lets out a weak chuckle and holds me for a little longer as if trying to seek strength from me.

"Let's get over with this." He releases out a quick breath while pulling back and nods his head as we both step outside the car and walk towards the cafe.