Chapter Fifty

—[CHAPTER FIFTY]—

[CHAPTER FIFTY]

"YOU'RE ALREADY PACKING?" said Mei as she entered Odette's dorm.

"Yeah. . ." said Odette as she finished folding a jumper, "I don't have many things to pack anyway."

"Why are you packing? You could just pack tomorrow, you know," said Mei, "It won't take that long."

"I have plans for tomorrow," said Odette, "I would much rather finish packing today."

"By any chance. . .do tomorrow plans include a certain Black?" said Mei as she sat on Odette's bed with a teasing smile.

Odette smiled softly, "They might."

Mei frowned, "I don't sense much excitement. Did something happen?"

"No, don't be silly," said Odette, "The realization is just really kicking in, you know? This is it."

"Isn't it exciting though?" said Mei, "It's our turn to build a life for ourselves."

Odette forced a smile. Mei noticed and stood up, "Hey? I thought you couldn't wait to leave. Why the sudden change? I thought you would have been bouncing off the walls by now, watching the clock tick by."

"I've just realized that I don't want to be an adult," said Odette as she shook her head, "The outside world is cruel. It's just whipping our back repeatedly until we fall and when we fall, it just kicks us until we fall off the cliff. We try to hold on onto the edge, but it just steps on our fingers and watches us fall into the ocean below. It does nothing while we drown and struggle for air. We breathe in and gasp but all we get is water and eventually, you just give up. You let yourself sink to the bottom and accept your fate."

Mei was stunned. She didn't know what to respond as Odette shoved the last pair or robes into her trunk and stormed out of the dorm. Mei stayed still for a moment before she went after her friend.

"Odette!" she called out as she followed her into the lavatory. Odette locked herself in a stall.

"Odette," said Mei as she knocked on the stall, "Come on. It'll be okay. You'll have us. We'll welcome you with open arms whenever you decide to give us a surprise visit."

"I'm so selfish, Mei," said Odette as she wiped her cheeks furiously, "I want more than what I have."

"No. . ." said Mei as she leaned her head against the stall, "That doesn't make you selfish, that makes you human."

"Well, I don't want to be human!"

Mei laughed but there was nothing funny about her laugh, "If only it was that easy. . ."

Odette undid the latch on the stall. Mei pulled away and turned around. Odette opened the stall.

"Need a hug?" said Mei as she opened her arms.