Chapter Twenty-Two

—[CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO]—

[CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO]

THE COLD WATER PIERCED her skin as she dipped her hand into the Black Lake. Odette drew her hand back and wiped it on her skirt.

There seemed to be a dark cloud shrouded over the castle and it wasn't just literally. There was no escaping the war that was occurring outside Hogwarts walls. As she had been told, the latest attack was on Hogsmeade and the professors had no choice but to cancel the trips to Hogsmeade for the students' safety.

Students could no longer send letters to their families freely anymore, not with the attacks towards the owls delivering letters. Mei and Xia were cautious with their letters, they wouldn't use Aya or the same owl twice. Their letters were full of codes that were quite random, but for the most part they tried to avoid sending letters.

The war only made Odette want to find her family even more. She hoped they weren't affected, but she only knew a handful about them.

She heard footsteps behind her, which caused her to turn around. She couldn't help but smile at the sight of Regulus approaching her. He seemed to be looking up at the sky before he stopped walking and looked down at her.

"Ha— why do you look like that?" He said, an eyebrow raised.

"Look like what?" said Odette, her smile widening.

"Like. . .like that!" He exclaimed, "You have this stupid grin on your face, why?!"

Odette ignored the part where he called her grin stupid and said, "It's the first time you've approached me. Before, it was always me that approached you. It's a nice change."

"It's not that big of a deal," said Regulus, "I can't believe out of all the things you can notice, you notice that."

Odette giggled, "It appears I notice all the unimportant stuff."

"Yes, it appears so," said Regulus, his gaze lingered on her for another moment before he looked over at the Great Lake and where Odette was now throwing stones at. He watched as the stones skipped across the water before he asked, "What are you hoping to accomplish by throwing stones at the water?"

"Nothing," said Odette, "It's just quite fun. Haven't you done it before?"

As soon as those words left her mouth, Odette froze. Odette had no memories of making stones skip on the water, yet she knew how to do it perfectly. It seemed it was only her mind that forgot about her past and she wasn't sure where to be excited or annoyed.