Chapter Forty-Nine

—[CHAPTER FORTY-NINE]—

[CHAPTER FORTY-NINE]

ODETTE DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL after she departed from Regulus. She wasn't lying when she said she'd always be there for him, but she couldn't help but be curious. She promised herself that she wouldn't pry and ask questions, she wanted Regulus to talk to her on his one accord. However, it was hard to accept that he was a death eater and just move on. She didn't know why he joined Voldemort's ranks, but she wanted to have faith in him.

The school year was nearing an end and he might not have enough time to open up. That wasn't a bad thing, of course, she was sure there was always after Hogwarts. However, she wasn't planning to stick around. She planned to spend a day or two at Liu's house to plan everything and then leave for France. She planned to get a job and settle down in a small apartment, so she could search for her remaining family. She was beyond grateful for everything the Xun family had given her, but it was time to spread her own wings.

With the last two weeks just around the corner, Odette wanted nothing more than just be with Regulus, but she knew that wasn't possible. With Cassia by her side, Odette didn't need to worry about her family anymore because she had all the time in the world. She wished she could say the same about Regulus, but she couldn't. She didn't know what he was planning to do after Hogwarts. When she had asked, he laughed humorlessly and told her that if she asked a year ago, he'd probably say he was going have a desk job in the Ministry.

When she asked about what he was planning to do now, he avoided her question. All she could do for him was lend an ear and keep his secrets to herself. As much as she loved Mei, she wouldn't trust her at all, not with Regulus at least.

"Odette!" exclaimed Mei as she clapped her hands in front of her face. Odette jumped back.

"Yes?" she said, blinking back into reality.

"I asked you if you were interested in joining the order," said Mei as she filed her nails, "You know, the group that's fighting You-Know-Who. It's where my mum always disappeared to."

"Yes, I got that part," said Odette, "But, Mei, you know I'm not planning to stick around here."

"You don't have to," said Mei, "You could live in France while being a part of the order. There are a few members who are working out of the country. As long as you promise not to tell anything to any outsiders, including your boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend," said Odette as she flipped the page of her book, "But, I think I'll pass."

"That's unfortunate. Hua's pressuring me to join, she wanted to but Lynwood isn't letting her because of their children. How're your french lessons coming along?"