Chapter Thirty-Four

[CHAPTER FOUR]

THERE WERE THINGS ODETTE would never know and she'll never understand. She knows that and she has been trying her best to understand that. She is not seeking after her memories, but the things in them. Family, friends, everything she knew were a part of the memories she lost.

She had been creating new memories in the past few months and while they were no replacement, she was happy to have them. It was as if she knew other people better than she knew herself.

She had finally had an idea of how to put all the pieces together; she had the "glue" in her hand that will make them stay together. No pieces would fall apart while she looked away to grab another one. The excitement bubbled in her stomach and she wanted to tell someone, but she couldn't. She couldn't tell Mei or Liu because they didn't know that she was dabbling into old magic, neither could she talk to her dorm mates. She couldn't tell Xia because while the girl was doing her own testing on the waters, there was no guarantee that Xia wouldn't tell anyone.

For some reason, some odd reason, she wanted to tell Regulus, but she couldn't do that either. He knew of what she was doing, he helped her, but he didn't know why. Odette trusted him a lot more than she trusted her own friends and she didn't know why. Perhaps it was because he had been helping her and nothing had got out yet, or maybe it was because behind his stormy grey eyes he hid the darkest secrets.

Odette only knew so much about him and he only knew so much about her.

He didn't need to know her secrets and she didn't need to learn his, but it would be nice. It would be nice knowing that she had no secrets to hide, that she could just tell everything to one person. That she didn't have to tell pieces to one person and the remaining pieces to another.

That comfort would be so nice to have. It'd help relieve some of the stress and weight all piled on her shoulders.

She could hear her shoes click against the floor as she walked. It was such an odd sound as she wasn't used to it coming from her shoes. She had finally gotten rid of the old pair of shoes after Mei threw them into the Black Lake on "accident". She didn't mind, though.

It was Saturday once again and Odette had two hours to spend before she had to meet up with Benny. Unfortunately for Odette, she had skipped breakfast and she was growing hungry. She roamed the corridors for any of her friends, but it appeared they had all disappeared because she couldn't find any of them. She did find Regulus, however. He had not spotted her, or at least she didn't think he did, as he passed by the corridor. He was heading down to the basement or maybe he was heading down to the dungeons, Odette didn't know.

She was tempted to follow, but she didn't because the last thing she wanted was to have to admit that she had followed him. Odette took a seat in the window sill. She looked around the boring walls and if they weren't boring they were filled with portraits that she'd rather not spend any time with. Overall, the castle was boring.

There had to be things she didn't know about it. The thought had not surprised her as she had been so busy with other things. However, things were different.

Odette thought she knew what she was doing when she picked up a shovel and started to dig up a hole. With confidence practically radiating off her, Odette had jumped into the hole to contine digging only to realize she had left her shovel and rope above. She was stuck in the hole. Now she only had two options: She could scream out for help until her throat was dry and her voice became nothing or she could make the best out of it by digging at the sides of the hole with her hands.