Chapter Fifteen

[CHAPTER FIFTEEN]

REGULUS LOOKED AROUND THE LIBRARY. Odette remained silent as she watched him pack up and leave the library. He was a few feet away from the library when he stopped and turned to look at her.

"Are you just going to stand there?" he asked.

"O-Oh!" said Odette.

He hadn't really showed any signs that he wanted her to follow him or, if he did, Odette didn't pick up on them. She picked up her book and trailed behind Regulus. She wasn't sure why she walked behind him since it was quite obvious she was following him and Regulus wasn't walking fast, so Odette could easily catch up if she wanted to. However, she felt uncomfortable by the mere thought of walking beside him.

Regulus seemed to lead Odette to an empty classroom that Odette had never ventured into, but that wasn't surprising as she barely explored the castle with most of her free time spent in the Ravenclaw tower or library. She remained cautious as she walked in and sat on top of a rather dusty desk near the door. If the need came for it, Odette was within a few feet from the door.

Once Odette walked in, Regulus closed the door and walked over to the center of the room, which made Odette feel a tad bit better about the fact that she was in an empty classroom with someone she knew nothing but rumours about.

"We couldn't risk someone overhearing us," said Regulus, seemingly answering her question. Odette wouldn't be surprised if the question was written all over her face.

"I thought it was more like Madam Prince will have our heads to hang on the library walls as a reminder that no talking is allowed in the library," said Odette.

"That too," said Regulus as he leaned against what would have been the professor's desk.

Despite the somewhat of a joke Odette made, there was no laughing as neither knew what to say. Odette had asked her question and it was up to Regulus to answer, but she wasn't sure if she should have said something else. She couldn't tell him her motives as Mei wouldn't even let Odette tell Olivia Mae and Aditi, people Mei had known for years, so she was sure Regulus was even further down Mei's list.

"How did you find out about the — well, you know?"

That did not answer her question at all.

"The book," said Odette, "The one you stole from me."

Either Regulus didn't notice or he didn't care about her tone, though Odette was leaning towards the latter. Whichever it was didn't matter as he ignored her accusation, even though he had an urge to tell her that the book didn't belong to her, so technically he hadn't stolen anything from her. He didn't though.

"Why do you want to know about — the thing?"

Odette rose an eyebrow, he kept avoiding to say the word and she wasn't sure why. She didn't mention it though.

"I'm curious," lied Odette, she had no better excuse at the moment.

"So," started Regulus, "You, a girl who is lying about her name and appeared out of nowhere, want to know more about Death Genies because you're curious? Sounds a bit fishy if you ask me."