Chapter Forty - Three

[CHAPTER FORTY - THREE]

"I THOUGHT WE TOLD YOU TO STAY," said Mei when she saw Odette approaching, "Where were you?! We were so scared that you fell down the stairs and cracked your head open!"

"When have I ever fallen down the stairs?" said Odette.

The smile fell from Mei's face, "Odette, are you okay? What's the matter?"

"I want to go home," said Odette as Mei wrapped her arms around her.

"The year is almost over, just hold on a little —"

"No, I want to go to my home. The home that doesn't exist anymore."

"How can you return to a place that no longer is what it once was? Even if you return, it won't be your home anymore. It's just ruins."

"That's where you're wrong," said Olivia Mae, "It still stands. No one can go inside of it, but who says you have to follow the law?"

"Olivia Mae! Don't even suggest such a terrible idea!"

"It's her house, she has every right to return to it."

"But if she gets caught —"

"She gets caught. It's a risk she has to take. It's not up to us to protect her."

"Odette, do you know the address?" said Olivia Mae once Mei didn't respond. Odette shook her head, but it was probably included in the papers Regulus gave her.

"I don't either, but I reckon I could figure out."

"Thank you, Olivia Mae."

"Of course! We're friends now, right?"

Odette wrinkled her nose and gave Olivia Mae a small smile, "I'll think about it."

"You know what? That's something, I'll take it," said Olivia Mae, "Well, I'm going to go and write a letter to my mum. You better not disappear again!"

"Right now? You won't make it back before curfew," said Mei.

"Don't underestimate my abilities, Mei!" Olivia Mae left the common room in a hurry in an attempt to make it to the owlery, write the letter, and return back to the common room all before curfew.

"What time is it?" asked Odette.

"A quarter to nine."

"She won't make it," said Odette, "Even if she sprints, it takes at least fifteen minutes to get to the owlery and write the letter."

"Olivia Mae is well known for amazing people," said Mei, "You'll see."

Odette nodded with a small smile.

"Hey, Odette? Were you crying?"

"What?" said Odette, wiping her cheeks, "No."

Mei gave her a small smile, "Growing up, my mum taught my sisters and I that crying is a sign of weakness. Every time we cried, she'd leave. Eventually, we learned the crying will only make her turn against us. The last time I cried was when my dad died. Even then, I held back my tears. Xia let it all go, but Hua. . .Hua just looked cold. I'm scared for her children to be honest. She's a lovely sister, but as a person. . .she's taken after our mum a lot. Some of it are good qualities, but there are many qualities that aren't quite as good. Xia's worst fear is that Emery and Rosie will grow up feeling like we did, it's why she always tries her hardest to be the best aunt she can be. Just as she tries to always cheer them up, she also tries to teach them that it's okay to be sad. Odette. . .don't be ashamed that you were crying. I speak from experience when I say that holding back your tears will only break you more."