Chapter Thirty

[CHAPTER THIRTY]

IT WAS TOO EARLY FOR ODETTE TO DO ANYTHING. Way too early. She wasn't sure why she kept waking up so early. It was more annoying than anything because she liked sleep. She enjoyed having nothing in her mind. It was empty and she was in peace. She liked peace.

She eventually grew tired of just laying in her bed and pushed herself up. Chloe was missing from the dorm again, which was odd because all Chloe did was lay around in her bed, usually with a book on her lap. Still, Odette didn't think much of it and walked out of the dorm. She hurried down the stairs. She forgot to slip on some shoes and she regretted her decision the moment her bare feet made contact with the cold floor. She didn't fancy another trip up the stairs, so she decided it would have to be quick and she ran into the lavatory. She did her business, washed her hands, and decided to wash her face before she returned to her dorm room.

She rinsed her face with the cold water to wake herself up better. She kept her eyes shut as she patted her hand around the counter for the towel. She finally felt it and snatched up. She patted her face gently and looked up from the towel to see a girl standing behind her. She was just standing and staring at her. In the moment, Odette wasn't thinking and she ended up letting a shriek.

She spun around and both girls stared at each other with wide eyes.

"I — um — sorry," mumbled Odette, "I just didn't see you there."

"My fault," she said, "Don't apologize."

"No, it's only fair that I do, I'm sure I bursted your eardrum."

"I've heard louder screams," said the girl as she stepped forward, "You don't really have a shrill scream anyway."

Odette nodded. She felt uncomfortable, which wasn't really a weird feeling to her, but it wasn't any less pleasant. She felt herself shifting around before she remembered that she had no reason to remain in that awkward situation. She opened her mouth, but the girl beat her to it.

"I'm Cassandra DeBon."

Odette nodded, "Odette."

"Odette?" Cassandra repeated, "Just Odette?"

"Just Odette," It was now Odette's turn to repeat things.

"Let me guess," said Cassandra, "Family issues? Mommy and daddy dearest hate you? Siblings act wicked?"

"Not exactly," said Odette, "I'm just — well, I'm just Odette."

"Well, you have such a pretty name, Odette," said Cassandra, "I used to know someone named Odette. Such a lovely lady she was."

Odette nodded once again. She took in Cassandra's appearance. She felt something was off. Perhaps it was the lack of flaw in Cassandra's appearance. Her straight hair was down and not a single strand stood from the top of her head. She had a sundress that fell to her knees and exposed her shoulders. Odette didn't really care, but it was freezing. Yet, Cassandra did not shiver once. Cassandra also lacked shoes, but Odette couldn't judge because she too had no shoes on her feet.

"I should return to my dorm. It was a pleasure to meet you, Cassandra."

"Oh please!" exclaimed Cassandra, "Cassie is just fine."

"Cassie," said Odette with a nod, "Sure. I'll see you around then, Cassie."

"You will," said Cassie.

Odette hurried over to the door and held the handle, but did not turn it. She turned around. Cassie was still just standing and staring.