Chapter Forty-One

[CHAPTER FORTY-ONE]

ODETTE WAS PICKING AT HER NAIL BEDS as she headed to the direction of her dorm. She wasn't quite present, but she wasn't lost in her head. Rather, her mind was blank. She was in a peaceful state, which was why she nearly jumped into the air when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Odette!" exclaimed a familiar voice, "Are you okay? I've been calling out to you for the past few minutes. Bloody hell, you sure can walk fast."

"Olivia Mae," said Odette in surprise, "How are you?'

"Fine, fine," said Olivia Mae, "I don't like talking about myself. Let's talk about you."

"I'd rather not," said Odette, "Can I help you with anything?"

"Have you seen Mei?"

"I haven't, sorry."

Olivia Mae continued to walk beside her. Odette knew she wasn't looking for Mei, she knew Olivia Mae wanted something from her. Odette remained silent.

"That's unfortunate. I really wanted to talk with her, I guess it'll just be the two of us then."

". . .Where are your other friends?"

"Who? Oh! You mean the girls from the morning? They're not my friends, don't ever call them that again. Odette, don't be so curt. I'm trying to be nice here."

"That makes two of us," said Odette, "I still can't get over the argument in the train. I know you're not fond of me."

"Oh, it's not that!" said Olivia Mae, "I understand now."

"What could you possibly understand?"

"A lot more than I did before," said Olivia Mae, "Would you like to find out?"

Hesitation flowed through Odette despite the curiosity at the tip of her tongue. Mei had made up with Olivia Mae and has admitted that she trusted Olivia Mae, so it couldn't be that bad? Yet, Mei's question lingered in Odette's head. Did she trust Olivia Mae?

"Go ahead then. Enlighten me with your newfound sympathy."

"Oh! but I suppose you wouldn't want to talk in such a public place, would you?"

"No, I suppose I wouldn't. Lead the way, Olivia Mae."

Olivia Mae's pout disappeared from her face and in its place was a wide grin. Odette unconsciously reached to play around with her bracelet. Olivia Mae started to walk ahead, no, it was more than a walk. She had a slight jump to her steps, happiness practically bounced off of her. Odette didn't move. Olivia Mae stopped walking and turned to look at her.

"Are you coming?"

Was she? Would she trust the girl in front of her? The girl whom she wondered about; was she a friend or a foe? Odette clutched her bracelet tightly. This was her choice. It didn't matter if Olivia Mae was a close friend of Mei's because she wasn't a close friend of hers. In fact, Odette wouldn't even consider her a friend. To trust or to turn away? The decision rested up in Odette's shoulders. Yes perched on one shoulder while no is hovering above the other. Who knew such a simple question with such simple answers would weigh so heavily on her? She felt the weight start to pull her down. Yes or no? Yes or no? Yes or no?