|| Chapter 43 ||

Night was beginning to fall. The boys had managed to get out of the city and were currently heading back towards Omelas.

They had wanted to stop off in Asphodel. Visit MJ and Minhyuk. Check in with Chan and Felix. Get some supplies.

But after all it was Hyunjin and Minhyuk who led them to the city. They hadn't exactly memorised the route back - they only remembered the vague direction they had come in.

They had been walking for hours, but finally it seemed like it was time to rest for the night. Taehyung and Hoseok started a fire, and they all ate what little food they had around it.

Tonight they were sleeping under the open sky. There was something beautiful about it. Lying in the cold grass and gazing up to the heavens. Their worries felt small.

In reality, they couldn't be bigger. None of them could predict what was about to happen. But one thing was for sure - this would be a turning point in all of their lives.

Daylight came and they set out again. It was around 10am by their estimate when they arrived at the fence in the forest. Memories came flooding back of the last time they were here, fleeing from the guards with MJ. Eunwoo.

After a short search they found the gap that they had entered through, and began to crawl back under.

The leaves and surrounding nettles were still trampled from the last time they were there. Yoongi cringed when his back scraped across the jagged edge of the fence, just as it had the first time. His scratches had only just began to heal too.

The 7 approached the town with an eerie quietness among them, until Hoseok spoke up.

"So...what's the plan for when we get there?"

"My dad will have armed guards surrounding the town, probably." Namjoon explained. "I'll lead the way. He probably ordered them to keep me alive, but the rest of you...I can't guarantee."

It's scary, but he was right.

They reached the laundromat. Their home.

It was emotional.

They couldn't stay for too long.

"Do you think getting the train is a good idea?" Jin asked. "It's probably rigged with security cameras or something. They'll know we're coming."

"They're gonna know sooner or later anyway. No point in hiding." Namjoon reasoned. Jin gave a simple nod.

And so they boarded the train. No-one else ever came from this far out, so they wouldn't be noticed by anyone just yet.

Jin was right, Jimin noticed - there were security cameras. He didn't know who was monitoring them.

"Anyone else kinda highkey scared?" Tae asked. Jungkook nodded in response. The others did too.

Yoongi's mind wandered to his dad. How would he react? After all, all those years ago he had been angry at his wife for her rebellion. How would he feel now that Yoongi had followed in her steps?

He had a few questions for his dad when he got back.

"To be honest? I'm terrified." Namjoon replied. "What if I mess everything up? Your lives and everyone's future pretty much rely on me."

"Don't worry about that." Jungkook reassured. "Just do what you have to do."

Still empty apart from them, the train came to a halt at the stop near the centre of the town. It was around midday - usually there were other people on here. Had he really gone to such lengths to make sure no-one leaves? Banning use of the train? Namjoon wondered.

He also wondered how Hyunjin was. Did it work? Did he manage to get the president and the current politicians out of power with his revolution? He could be the new leader of Elysium right now. Or he could be dead.

"Come on." Jin encouraged him to get up, tugging at his sleeve.

They all tentatively stepped out of the train and waited for something bad to happen.

It didn't.

"Stay behind me." Namjoon warned. They headed for the town square cautiously.

As he turned the corner of a building, something - someone - grabbed Namjoon's neck and shoulders. His instinct was to struggle, and swing his elbow into the ribs of the person gripping him.

Once the man released him with a pained hiss, Namjoon instantly moved to stand between the guard and his friends. A dozen or so more armed guards surrounded them from a distance.

The guard on the floor seemed to notice his mistake when he saw Namjoon's face. He probably wasn't meant to attack the mayor's son, but at the time he didn't know it was him.

"Don't move from behind me, any of you." Namjoon quietly warned again.

Just then, a few of the guards spread out, and he walked forward. The mayor.

He had a walking stick, Namjoon noticed. From the shot in the foot.

"Welcome back, kids." He patronisingly greeted.

"Dad." Namjoon responded.

"What's that? I thought I wasn't your father anymore." He remarked. Namjoon cursed his mistake. Automatic response. "Anyway, it's been a while. How did you enjoy the city?"

"More or less the same as here." Namjoon remarked. "Should've come with us. Nice vacation."

"Come on now. Omelas troops marching into Elysium wouldn't be taken too lightly. You got an A* in history, I'm sure you know that."

"Let's cut the games. Where do we go from here?"

He smirked. "You really came here without a plan? Silly boy."

Namjoon gulped.

"Not exactly. Let's make a compromise. I'll go with you. Whatever you want, we can discuss." He gestured behind him. "But they get to go home tonight."

The mayor's expression was as irritating as ever. "You think you can come here making requests?"

"I'm serious." Namjoon replied, his tone matching his words. "I'll do anything you ask of me. But lay a hand on them, and we're done. No going back."

He tried to appeal to his dad's sense of nostalgia. Care. He wouldn't do anything too bad to Namjoon. He was still his son after all.

"'Anything' is a strong word son. I hope you'll be willing to follow through on that." He clicked his fingers and the guards stood down.

"Escort them home. Namjoon, come with me."

A/N *nervous noises*

Also I can't remember if I mentioned but I basically write the first draft, check it for errors once and publish it, so please tell me if you notice any mistakes !! I plan to re-edit everything once the story is finished for clarity and stuff

Exciting times ahead ^^