|| Chapter 50 ||

Jin was comfortable when he woke up, at least in a sense. His head still felt dizzy and the confusion of what just happened was a little frightening. But the beige leather sofa beneath him offered some support.

For a moment he looked around, listened. The lobby of the town hall was a little messier than usual, but the soundproof quietness remained. It felt like a hurricane had swept through.

He swung into a seated position, still feeling drowsy. Standing up was both impossible and a poor decision, but he still tried. That's when the footsteps rapidly approached from the right. A pair of hands grabbed him before he fell.

"Woah hyung!" Jimin's voice called. He lowered Jin down and sat next to him.

"Jimin...what's going on?" His eyes could barely focus, but Jin could see his familiar gentle smile.

"You got shot with enough sedative to take out two people. It could've been really dangerous. I'm surprised you're even awake this early."

"What time is it?"

"Morning."

Jin wanted to ask what he had missed, but he was almost scared to. He was scared that the answer wouldn't be a good one. Luckily Jimin didn't need a prompt to fill him in.

"It worked, hyung. Everyone is okay. And thanks to Taehyung, we dont need to worry about the mayor anymore."

"What do you mean?"

Jimin smiled. "Are you good to walk?"

He helped Jin up, supporting him by the shoulder as they slowly made their way to the main door. Jimin turned to push the door open with his back, and all of a sudden a loud roar filled Jin's ears.

He stepped outside and stopped dead in his tracks. A gigantic crowd of people had flooded the main square. All of them cheered upon his arrival, some waving their arms, others waving coloured banners or throwing paint.

And in front of them all, in front of him, was a smart looking Namjoon stood on the podium. He could only stare in awe for a few moments before Namjoon beckoned him closer, and Jimin carefully let him go.

He walked over to Namjoon, who put an arm around his shoulder.

"What's going on?" Jin whispered.

Namjoon chuckled. "Watch and learn."

He turned to the crowd and addressed them as follows.

"Thank you all for coming today to show your support. It means the world to us. We couldn't be here without you, truly."

The crowd cheered in support.

"And as the new mayor of Omelas, I promise to never let you down."

Jin's eyes went wide. Namjoon continued.

"My father nearly ran this town into the ground. He ruled through fear and bullying. But that era is over. I may be inexperienced, but I will always put you, the people, first."

He looked over to the boys, who were all stood at the side of the stage.

"I could never have done this without my friends. The 5 boys who came along with me on this perilous journey without hesitation. And the one boy we risked it all for."

His eyes shone as he smiled at Jungkook, who scrunched up his nose in a quiet giggle.

"I should also thank one person in particular. Jin-hyung," he turned to the aforementioned, catching him off-guard, "without you we never could've done what we did yesterday. You put your life on the line for us. And I would formally like to invite you to be the deputy mayor alongside me."

The crowd showed their support effusively, as Jin could only stand in shock. After a few moments he took the microphone from Namjoon's hand and cleared his throat.

"Wow you really know how to give me a heart attack Namjoon-ah." The crowd laughed. "I don't really have a clue what I'm doing, but I'll gladly accept."

Along with the crowd, the other boys applauded with proud smiles. The impromptu inauguration ended around an hour afterwards, and the boys returned inside.

Namjoon collapsed into the sofa with a short sigh. "I have a lot of friggin paperwork to do."

The other boys chuckled.

"Well that's what I'm here for right? I'll help you out, come on let's go." Jin suggested, and the two went to the main office.

"Well..." Hoseok began, "I can't believe that all just happened."

The others voiced their agreement.

"He doesn't have a clue what he's doing. At least he's got Jin-hyung to help him out." Jimin barely got his words out before laughing at them. Clearly neither of them knew how to run a town. But everyone had faith that they would figure it out.

Yoongi meanwhile began to wonder what exactly Taehyung had said to the mayor. He was currently under house arrest and kicked out of office. What did he threaten him with?

"Hey," Taehyung waved a hand in front of his face, causing him to jump. "You're spacing out. As I was asking, what job are you gonna take up?"

Namjoon had offered them all jobs if they wanted to take them. Jimin was the head of health, and that meant his main responsibility was offering emergency aid and healthcare to citizens of Omelas, as well as offering help to the city and to Asphodel if needed.

Hoseok decided to become a physical education teacher, helping the citizens to stay active whilst also doing what he loved.

Taehyung wanted to help out in a few areas, but hadn't decided on the specifics. He wanted to make sure the justice system was a fair one. He wanted to make sure the town was a nice and happy place to live generally.

Jungkook as of yet didn't know what he wanted. The boys suggested that he take some time to find his passions and relax, since this was the first true freedom he had had in years. All he knew was that he wanted to stay with these boys for as long as he could.

"Uh let's see..." Yoongi thought outloud, "I was thinking about helping out with trade. You know, visiting other places and managing supplies."

Until this whole incident happened Yoongi had never had a chance to travel. Hell none of them had, Omelas was all they knew. But visiting other places and meeting new people was an experience that he, unexpectedly as an introvert, liked.

Maybe he could even start some kind of tourism business now that people were free to travel.

"That sounds great hyung." Jungkook encouraged.

"Oh hey would you look at the time." Taehyung suddenly blurted out.

"Hm? What's the rush?" Yoongi asked.

Taehyung looked around to check no one was in earshot. "Okay, so, I haven't asked Namjoon-hyung about this yet, but I have an idea. I want to hold a gigantic party. Tomorrow."

A/N the next chapter will more than likely be the last one omg 🥺🥺 let's finish it with a bang! I hope you're all doing well and I hope you look forward to it