|| Chapter 2 ||

The next morning, Yoongi woke up drearily to Namjoon shaking his shoulder.

"Hyung, wake up."

The black haired one sat up and stretched his neck, which was sore from the awkward way he slept, before asking the younger for the time.

"It's nearly 9"

Yoongi froze in realisation.

The others, already in their coats and stood near the door, waited for Yoongi to hastily put on his jacket and follow them outside. As they opened the door, they were met with the cool but pleasant air of the northern part of the town.

However the boys didn't have time to enjoy it as they had to hurry back. They ran across the frost covered ground quickly but carefully towards the train stop.

You're probably wondering, where do they need to hurry to? Well, the laundry shop wasn't technically their home, but to them it was. Of course, as young boys they lived with their families.

They got onto the train and simply waited until they reached the town centre. It wasn't a large town but the train was slow, it took 10 minutes to get there.

"My father is going to kill me if I'm late." Yoongi sighed, constantly checking Namjoon's watch. Namjoon was the only privileged member of the group who owned a watch. There was only one mine, after all the town was small, so resources such as metals were rare and expensive.

They finally arrived and jumped off the train, running to their respective houses without having the time to say goodbye. Yoongi sprinted down his street, lungs sore and stinging from the cool morning air, and finally reached his house.

He took a moment to wait in his front garden and take a few breaths before opening the door.

"Ah Yoongi, you're just on time"

'Thank God' he thought.

"Mayor Kim wants to see you and the others today, so head down to the hall quickly." His dad explained with a half smile.

"Do you know why?" Questioned the younger, not looking forward to having to run again.

"No, I suppose he'll tell you when you get there. You go now, you don't want to be late."

Yoongi nodded before opening the door and walking to the town hall. It was a small building with one level, after all not many people worked there, but Yoongi was fairly familiar with it.

He stepped in and took his coat off, ruffling his hair and trying to look presentable. Everything about the room was familiar, after all he'd been regularly visiting since he was a young child. Everything from the small red carpet, the beige sofa, the desks and the large windows made him feel strangely at ease.

"Ah Yoongi, come sit down." Beckoned Mayor Kim with a warm smile. The younger bowed politely before walking over to the sofa but since Namjoon, Jin, Taehyung, Jimin and Hoseok were already taking up most of the space, he opted to sit on the arm of the sofa.

"So why did you call us here, dad?" Namjoon asked curiously.

"Well, you boys are all mature now. I've know you all since you were this high." He placed his hand out near his thigh with a smile, recalling the fond memories. "I've known you since Taehyung broke that expensive vase in here whilst playing with Namjoon." The brunette chuckled in reply.

"So I figured it's time to show you something." The boys looked between each other, baffled.

"Come with me." They walked behind the desks and into a back room that, although they were aware of existence, had not been in since it was always locked securely.

Mr Kim unlocked the door and inside was a small room with a hatch on the floor. He kneeled down and unlocked the padlock on it, before opening it up.

"Watch your step" he warned before walking down the small set of wooden stairs.

The boys were met with a small area with a single glass window stretching across the entire of the wall in front of them.

Before they could even ask any questions, all six of them were stunned into silence.

Behind the glass, slightly below them, was a small, frail figure. It looked starved and unwilling to do much.

After a few dozen minutes of silence, one of them spoke up.

"Dad what is this?" Namjoon asked half angry and half shocked.

The mayor let out a quiet sigh.

"This boy, believe it or not, is the reason we can live in peace."

The answer just brought about more questions for the six of them, who were still mortified.

"You don't have to do anything about it. But you do need to be aware of its existence and importance. We keep this fact away from children because it would probably horrify them, but you're adults now."

"Why..what is this? Why do you have someone locked up and starving?!"

"In afraid I can't answer that. You'll learn in time, Namjoon, once you take over from me."

Namjoon was even more shocked by the answer he received. That's it? They're shown a locked up starving boy, for what reason they don't know, and expected to be fine with it?

Namjoon turned around and walked out of the room.

"What have you done to him...?" Yoongi questioned watching the tortured boy in sorrow.

"We've done nothing to harm it."

"What's do you mean 'it'? He's a person just like we are."

"We should leave now." Stated Mr Kim simply, waiting for the boys to walk up the stairs.

The tortured boy turned his head slightly and made eye contact with Taehyung. He could see pain, fear and longing for help in the boys eyes.

"Come on son, we need to go." Mr Kim encouraged, putting his arm on Taehyung's shoulder and guiding him up the stairs.

The boys left the hall in silence, bewildered and got on the train. They needed time away from the town, they were too mortified to stay there.